This is a comment on a NYT article. I've seen people elsewhere say very similar things and I would have responded directly but comments had been closed.
"I wonder what Jesus might say if he could speak to evangelical "influencers" today like John Piper, who has sold over 50 books but refuses to critique the real evils in American society -- inequality, poverty, endless wars, racism, just to name a few."
Inequality is not an evil. You get what you pay for. If you're NOT getting what you paid for, maybe God has something different/better in store for you, and sometimes you might not really recognize what that is until you see Him face to face.
Racism means so many things, some of which are truly irrelevant. Apparently it's racist to call someone from China a "Chinaman". If by racism you mean having negative thoughts associated with certain skin colors, then that is simply a person trading thoughts of purity, excellence, etc for negative thoughts. The error in those thoughts obviously isn't good, any more so than it is to say Mel Gibson was in Ghostbusters. If you truly love your neighbor as yourself, then you don't need John Piper or anyone else to call you out on being racist.
I'm not sure why poverty is added as a separate thing by this person...
Endless wars are not a part of America society. We had two "endless" wars over a 75 year period. They were not a byproduct of American society. They were a byproduct of poor judgement, which is not unique to America, and is by no means a good thing, but harping on a person for one act of stupidity is like a game of whackamole. It's more efficient to get to the root of the problems. Pride is on overdrive in this nation, on a variety of fronts. Most of us are guilty like Solomon of abusing the bountiful gifts God has given us.
I have so many things I could add to this post but it was tiring enough typing all of this out. Maybe later today.
No comments:
Post a Comment