Tuesday, February 1, 2011

finally - attempt 2 - adventures in hi-fi (or "hi-fi" - ?)

I finally bought a replacement receiver; I actually bought it about half a month ago, but didn't get it paid for until the 25th, then I received it via UPS last night.  The speakers are on the way, probably to arrive this evening...so I haven't tested many of its functions, I listened to a little music with my $4 sony headphones I got from WalMart several years ago - not exactly the best test, but I did find the re-mastering in the Japanese mini-LP edition of INVISIBLE TOUCH wasn't anywhere near as bad as I thought - I guess it just didn't import properly to my computer, idk...
  I didn't get a very good speaker set to compliment my receiver, but I think it'll be at least tolerable until I get money to get a better set.  I still need to get speaker wire, which I have not bought yet (will probably buy it later this month...) and HDMI 1.4 cables are also not here yet, they were shipped a couple days before the speakers, but they didn't have the benefit of UPS Ground shipping...(it was shipped with UPS Mail Innovations, which is basically UPS getting from Point A to ALMOST Point B and then USPS gets it the rest of the way...Actually, it's not UPS' fault it's not here yet - USPS received the cables like on Thursday or Friday...not sure what the deal is...).
  Anyway, the receiver will also need some time to "break in" (I don't fully understand it, but then again is there anything I truly understand when it comes to electronics?  Or even the mere existence of electricity for that matter?), so even after I get the speakers, speaker wire & HDMI cables, it won't sound as good as possible...but I'm still relieved to have this!  I think if I'm not satisfied thoroughly with this receiver, I'll just keep it until I can get a new one.  I hate being without a real audio set-up; I mean, a TV & DVD player is fine, but it just seems stupid buying/owning CDs with cover-art if the discs themselves don't do anymore than a CD-R...I figure I might as well just buy a painting(s), which would be more expensive, and would get boring looking at through time...I doubt this receiver will fully utilize all the benefits of the compact digital audio disc, but I'm confident it'll do it justice, or at least something like it...

No comments: