Monday, August 20, 2018

MY MIND MAKES NOISES (2018 perfected)

These last few years have seen almost a torrent of bands trying to successfully tow the line between slick pop and indie rock.  The turning closer to slick pop and away from indie rock became almost official with 2008's OCEAN EYES by Owl City but then got toppled in 2013 with THE BONES OF WHAT YOU BELIEVE by CHVRCHES.  Just when I thought it couldn't get any better than perhaps another album by CHVRCHES, this new band Pale Waves shows up.  Spotify has 10 songs by them, six of which are on their upcoming CD titled MY MIND MAKES NOISES.  The other 4 are part of an EP titled ALL THE THINGS I NEVER SAID.  They sound very similar to a band called The 1975, except this Pale Waves does it with more consistency in their quality of songwriting.  Most albums have a little bit of lull here and there, like filler that can still be satisfying in its own way.  For CHVRCHES, that was "Lungs" and "Science/Visions", but these guys have no lull.  In light of a recent playthrough of their 10 songs on Spotify, I can tell you there are some songs that are indeed stronger than others.  However, when six singles all manage to hit the spot, the remaining 8 from the upcoming LP have got to be WTF awful or this band is just really that freakin' good.

It comes out the same day as The Story So Far's new album.  But I'm kind of annoyed with that band after them taking all damn year and beyond to get stuff off the ground and their style was always a little obnoixous, and what the heck is this he's singing about Opiods?  Is he abusing prescription medication and singing songs bragging about it??!!!!?  I probably will buy it eventually but I had an order for it and the Pale Waves CD placed together at bullmoose.com, and decided to cancel the PROPER DOSE (SSF) portion of that order.  It seems weird breaking it up like that but I really need to trim things down.  I cannot really afford to pay for so much b.s. all the time for the rest of my days.  What I really need to do is focus on Jesus more and less on music and the other blessings God bestows upon us.  I need to take the advice that was spoken of on the radio -- be there for those that are important to you.  I get bored doing that, but it's not really that much of a chore really.  It's probably just as much of a chore doing that as it is sorting through stacks of music figuring out what if anything I want to listen to, full knowing that what I want to listen to I probably haven't even heard yet and whatever song I haven't heard yet that I want to hear probably sounds a lot like some other song that I may never even ever hear since all music borrows from itself, sometimes intentionally and other times not so much.
Not to mention life just resonates better with God in it.  I read The Bible Sunday and Monday last week, 3 total entries and everything just felt better.  I felt like I was in 3-D more so than usual.  Since then I've read one entry of my Daily Life Principles Bible edited/annotated by Charles Stanley, and it just isn't enough.  I had a psychiatrist appointment that took up 5 hours of the day between the drive to (45 mins apprx) and the drive back with a couple stops on the way (2 hours).  The waiting room took 1.5 hours.  I spent some time hugging my ill nephew (he's OK, just a little icky feeling) and for that brief moment I felt like I was fulfilling the entertained notion of presence purported by that guy on the radio I just wrote about a few lines up ago.
But I still neglected to read God's word.  It's not as if I didn't have time.  Sure, I had less time than I would have liked to have.  5 hours going to and from the psychiatrist and in between..... and 2.5 hours babysitting does cut into that but it doesn't make it some insurmountable feat.
Try again next time, if God wills a next time.  

No comments: