Wednesday, October 27, 2010

what's it to me?

I keep thinking about reading J.G. Ballard's CRASH. And then I wonder "why?". I didn't even read the whole thing, but that was only b/c I got hung up on a slightly inserted lame social commentary. I think I got 20 pages into it...maybe there's something more the book has to offer aside from what I already read...which was pretty powerful stuff, from what I remember...I guess I might as well buy it and read it. It's such a short book as it is, it's not like it'll rob me of my time or anything...
Sux that Elliot Perlman's SEVEN TYPES OF AMBIGUITY is only in print in softcover! An oversized tome such as that looks its best in hardcover. It looks rather tacky in softcover, not to mention it's easier to damage. I don't know if they use plastic to form the softcovers, but hardcovers just don't look as fake. I know plastic and similar substances are not literally "fake", but to me they seem that way...hard to explain why...I want to read that book, but I'm so darn tired right now, I should be in bed. I have to return it to the library the day after tomorrow, or renew it. I've already renewed it once, one more time is all I've got. Seriously doubt I'll finish it by 23 days from now...maybe I'll get far enough through it to decide if it's worth buying...it's 700 pages, so...if I can get 200-275 pages of the way through it, I'll check it out again and see if I can stick with it to page 400. If I can get 400+ pages through it, I'll prolly buy it. I haven't even got to page 100 yet and I've had it for over a month. I guess anything's possible, but I really doubt I'll be able/willing to get to page 400 w/o having to check it out again...

No comments: