Friday, May 17, 2013

My apologies Tobe

I don't know how I did that.  It is now fixed as of a few seconds prior to typing this sentence, but I forgot to include it initially, so who knows what other freakin' great films I forgot to include?

Oh, I didn't forget to include FORREST GUMP.  I just didn't put it in there, because even though its a very moving film, I tend to look back on it with confusion, wondering "what the heck is that movie about anyway?"  I suppose it's more about innocence in an age that was so clearly not innocent; perhaps speaking to the hopes and dreams of those who particpated and lived through the social and inner rioting that blasted through cities and families and individual human beings from 1965-1975 and lived on as more of a vibration afterward that never stopped and that most never noticed after spending so many years entrenched in a tug-of-war for free speech and democracy.
But I Really don't know what the film means to most people, as I am not most people and I'm a little crazy if that wasn't already obvious.  I certainly don't know what if anything the writer(s) of the film were trying to convey.  Winston Groom's novel, from the little bit I've read regarding it, seems to be more of a satire of some kind rather than a profound tearjerker...at least that was what one of the pro-critics thought of the novel, per the "PRAISE FOR FORREST GUMP" excerpts on the back of one of the editions I either bought or borrowed from the library.  So I'm pretty sure the writer of the film was using the book as a blueprint with little regard to what Mr. Groom had in mind when he wrote it, however obvious it may or may not have been to anyone who read it.  An Amazon reviewer spoke of the line "Life is like a box of chocolates..." as "re-working" of a line in the book which states "Being an idiot is no box of chocolates", which, to me, sounds rather condescending, and the first few lines of the book (the only part I read for myself) seem rather mean-spirited, although that may have been me just trying to put context to a book that I hadn't read enough of to really have any idea what the context was.
But given the fact that I'm not really planning on watching the film again anytime soon, which is more b/c of the fact that I remember almost everything about it more so than any idealogical criticisisms I might have, so I think my criticisms regarding the movie have more to do with boredom; I can't watch the movie so therefore I have to have make up the movie in my mind which, in this case, really doesn't benefit the movie b/c the movie is like a visit to a foreign land, but once you come back home to the life you've spent x years living, the sensation of being there is gone with nothing to revive it, and you end up with an increasingly distorted memory of it, which leads to half truths and innacurate assumptions.  Maybe that's not the average experience, idk...but anyway...
So I'll probably add FORREST GUMP to the list once I'm done writing this.
But there's really no reason to have excluded THE TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE.  It's a highly effective and artfully executed film that is so simple in nature that there is nothing to falsely remember in it or question the meaning of.

No comments: