Thursday, June 20, 2013

GREAT ROMANCES OF 2002

At press time, I am listening to a teenage heartcrush nostalgia-esque playlist I created on Amazon Cloud from songs I've bought over the years.

  1. Great Romances Of the 20th Century - Taking Back Sunday (Obviously the inspiration for the playlist title, I have it on CD, don't need it on MP3, so I haven't bought it, although I might when I get some $ just to even out the caf & decaf.  This is the song that came calling for me when I walked into Hot Topic one day, and I found out who Taking Back Sunday was, and what ultimately made me simpatico with emo) 
  2. My First Trip To Mars - Atticus Fault (played heavily on Charter Digital Cable radio at the time)
  3. Seein' Red - Unwritten Law (high video rotation on MTV2 that summer)
  4. Complicated - Avril Lavigne (need I say more?  HAVE YOU BEEN UNDER A ROCK THE PAST DECADE OR WHAT?!!...actually, Avril's kinda faded out, but she was a pretty big deal 2002-2004, and kind of a media acquaintance from 2004-2008.  Unless you're like 10 years old [SHIELD YOUR EYES, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!], then you should know this song was all and more of the rage in 2002)
  5. No Such Thing - John Mayor (this song was written about me.  I found out I was wrong when drawing outside the lines became the reason I don't do squat all day, and have found the idea of writing a screenplay & getting anywhere with it increasingly far fetched; I think it's been like a year since I wrote a single page of anything)
  6. A Long December - Counting Crows (I balled my eyes out listening to this on Charter Digital Cable radio at the early-end of summer, thinking of my epic crush; the lyrics about California fit right in, since I was so sure I was going to be "17 forever" (I was actually 18, but whatever)
  7. The Game Of Love - Santanna (ft. Michelle Branch) (this song made almost painful to listen to, so I would change the channel when it came on; as to "why?", no clue)
  8. Fat Lip - Sum 41 (another MTV2 staple of the time)
  9. Graduation Day - Head Automatica (after I moved out of my ma's - 2004 - I spent hours on end listening to RAGE 103.7, but then the variety ceased and the quality became more Godsmack/Staind/Breaking Benjamin and less Arcade Fire/Pearl Jam/emo/etc.)
  10. One Big Holiday - My Morning Jacket (another pre-suck RAGE 103.7 staple)
  11. The District Sleeps Alone Tonight (I figure this song sorta describes me, for I've never been in a real relationship of that sort, which is weird b/c I never thought someone could grow up without a wife and the possibility of kids...one day it occurred to me and I was like "What?  No...you must be mistaken...um..." and then it slowly occurred to me - I will die alone...)
  12. Last Defense - Year Of The Rabbit (yet another pre-1-900-EVIL RAGE 103.7 oddity.  If you don't "get" the way I am after hearing this, don't bother.  In that sense, the title of the song kinda fits this playlist.)

No comments: