Thursday, February 19, 2015

Buying nostalgia...'spect!

http://idlehands1.blogspot.ca/2015/02/toy-fair-2015-titan-merchandise-on.html

A toy design called "Titan" is being applied to GHOSTBUSTERS (1984).
I am surprised by looking at them (you have to scroll down the link a little to see) to find how much like cartoons they look.  THE REAL GHOSTBUSTERS (the 1986-1991 cartoon) did not aim to reproduce the screen images of the movie, i.e.: Bill Murray, Dan Aykroyd, Harold Ramis or Ernie Hudson.  They created their own design based solely on the heart&soul's of the characters in the movie.  Likewise, the Kenner toys did not aim to reproduce the ghosts seen in the TV show, but instead came up with nifty obscure concept-based toys.  I find it odd that anybody ever took aim at that method, since I never questioned or took issue with it when I was a wee lad.
Mattel has spent the last few years making "screen accurate" toys of the movie and cartoon.  They both suck.  The movie figures look cool b/c they're in uniform.  The ones they made w/o uniform are useless unless you want a 6" statue for the purpose of worshipping the enjoyment of the movie after watching it on Ghostbusters Day or whatever...the uniforms and "unlicensed nuclear accelerators" on their backs were the real draw.  Those things begged to be stared at.  They're just mind bogglingly cool.
The Ghostbusters Titans do not aim to reproduce the screen images of the cartoon.  They are designed to look like the movie characters, i.e.: the actors, but they are not "screen accurate".  I'd compare these toys to the puppets of Phil Collins, Mike Rutherford and Tony Banks in "Land Of Confusion"'s music video.


In other words, these are what toys are supposed to be.  I've held off buying these new GHOSTBUSTERS toys b/c they're useless.  They're EXPENSIVE! and do not come close to satisfying my nostalgic streak.  I do not play with toys.  But I remember I did once treat them as companions and even role - played scenes from the movie with them (I was an odd kid).
If I want to show my appreciation for GHOSTBUSTERS, I would be happy to own a GHOSTBUSTERS wallet.  I would be happy to own a GHOSTBUSTERS writing pen.  A bottle opener.  A fleece blanket.  Not any of that unlicensed bull that's all over e-Bay and Amazon.  I have a bottle opener, writing pens, etc., I don't need to have the GB logo on them.  It's not important, I'm not going to deplete my already small monthly budget just to own a GB fleece or wallet; if I need to replace my shoes when the forecasted "Came/Saw/Kicked" fleece blanket is unleashed to the public, I'll have to buy shoes instead.  But I'll be happy to buy the fleece when I'm able to w/o starving or de-sheltering myself.

KUDOS TO TITAN CO. or whoever did this......
ALSO: Diamond Select Toys apparently is taking the mantle of making screen accurate GHOSTBUSTERS toys, and they're better than the MattyCollector online exclusive toys that ceased production, supposedly due to a lack of demand (Fact: they're not as popular as DC Comics toys.  Why does that surprise anyone???).  They look a tad more realistic, which is the goal of most of these "adult collector" toys...with all the idol worship that screen accurate toys beckons and my feelings against such things, I'll just say: if DST ever makes a Stay Puft Marshmallow Man, I'll do what I have to do to get one.  MattyCollector tried to make a 24" Stay Puft and it looked stupid and there's a defect in the pigment that causes it to turn yellow or something....no, I don't own one, those things were $60 and sold out almost instantly, so I'm going based on what I read at the now defunct (mostly) Proton Charging website.
Now, I shall go repent.  SORRY GOD!  Ok, I'm good.
~J

No comments: