Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Tuesday, July 19...about six hours ago...

...I had just walked out of NCG Acworth after having seen GHOSTBUSTERS (2016).  I felt a disappointing sense of underwhelmed through the whole thing.  The near end/middle had some interesting visuals, but the first 1/2 of the movie felt like a cheap made for cable TV movie.  I didn't feel like a widescreen major motion picture.  I didn't think any of the film was funny, although it could have been had it gone all the way in the direction the humor was heading for.  It was mostly just bits and pieces of jokes that have been done 100,000+++ times interspersed between a suspenseful story that was played out in a goofy-awkward style.  I really was hoping for the best from this movie.  I figured it wouldn't be as good as the original, but after watching 2015's SPY -- made by the same co-writer & director of GB'16 -- I felt the failures of Dir. Paul Feig's other movies were perhaps the product of lack of experience and gave me hope that this film would be at least as good as that.  I think maybe Kate Diepold -- who co-wrote THE HEAT, which was also had a very goofy-awkward look and feel to it -- was the driving force behind this film's faults.  What I don't understand is why director Paul Feig let her on board...but on the other hand, a lot of people thought THE HEAT was the funniest film of that year, whatever year that was...
Some people have over time questioned my fandom of GHOSTBUSTERS (pre'16).  I guess I can say that I'm not so much a fan of GHOSTBUSTERS as I am of the feelings it evokes when I watch it.  It's very nostalgic.  For some reason or another the images in that film -- even the ones that take place on mundane locales like sidewalks and parks -- evoke a feeling of another time, another place, like a modern day USA that predates the modern day USA...which is kinda what the '70's and '80's was, technically...but I feel like I'm this close to touching it, but I can't quite...probably b/c I'd been watching the film since the age of 2 if nor younger, and I have memories surrounding watching the movie that I am not aware of...like the day I was born.  I don't think I remember it.  I don't know for a fact that a skilled hypnotist would be unable to put me under hypnosis and make me recall that day during the hypnosis.

No comments: