Friday, December 15, 2017

in your darkest time...



 "They say that love goes anywhere.
In your darkest time,
it's just enough to know it's there"

"Polaris" - Jimmy Eat World (2004, Interscope Records)



I created this playlist (link to Spotify, it's free w/ ads ---- a measily $10 w/o ads) after a CD-R I'd made.  The idea is these are songs that reflect a "wordly" attitude.  These, for better or worse, are songs I've recently been hooked on.  Now, these songs are almost all excruciatingly boring.  Best Coast's "In My Eyes" and Journey's "I'll Be Alright Without You" were sweet jollipin' jams of ear worminess, but I'm freakin' serious -- I just got done with "In My Eyes" while typing this sentence, and I'm almost sick to my stomach.
You can see a bit of a pattern in the song titles
"On Our Own" ---
"Good Time" --- Luke 12:18-21
"Everything Is Easy" --- Luke 12:18-21
"Rain Rain Rain" --- Nehemiah 8:11
"Losing Your Memory" --- Proverbs 8:36 "Those who fail to find me harm themselves..."
"Dead Man's Party" --- Proverbs 8:36 "...All who hate me love death"

Some of the songs are vague reminders of God's presence in the world and in myself
"The Power Of Love" by Huey Lewis & The News
"While You See A Chance" by Steve Winwood --- Just a feel-good slice of early-childhood nostalgia.  This can go either way as far as being interpreted as Godly or un-Godly.  On one hand you should have the faith of a small child, but on the other, you should put away your childish ways and march toward spiritual maturity (paraphrasing; can't find the exact verses @ BibleHub).

The CD-R/playlist closes with reminders of the pressure of living life in these ways.
"Ugly" by The Exies, a song about self-loathing and bitter dissatisfaction
"Back Of Your Head" by Balance And Composure --- "If time heals all why's there still distance?"
"If they do not listen to Moses and the Prophets, they will not be convinced even if someone rises from the dead." - Luke 16:31

Bible quotes are provided from BibleHub.com using the NIV translation.



No comments: