Wednesday, August 28, 2019

severence

People say that sin is what seperates us from God.  I do wonder then how God communicated with Cain after he became the first murderer.  It would seem as if Cain had some level of understanding of what he did wrong as far as that heinous act goes.  But God still conversed with him after the deed was not only plotted but committed.
I tend to think that humanity has lost its standing with God through time.  God commands us to have Faith because otherwise, we would be destroyed by the incompatibility of our two existences.  Not even Moses was allowed to see God despite having to his credit the most humility of any man who ever walked the Earth.
A surface inventory of evil would suggest that Cain surpassed all comprehensible evil, but on the other hand, one has to consider: how much hatred truly was in Cain's heart?  Did Cain truly hate his brother or did he kill his brother simply to eliminate the competition?  If the latter is the case, consider this: the competition was a rather noble one (it's not like they were business rivals) and there was no reference manual for Cain to look at when he had questions.  And think also: If Cain had a question, would he have been aware of what to ask?  Or how to ask it?  Intellectually, humans have proven themselves to be rather limited.  Even in this day and age, with literacy at a relative high point, and ground breaking research leading to many medical advancements, how much more we still have to learn!  Many literate individuals still struggle to grasp the fundamentals of communication in their native language, and how many wrong decisions could be avoided if people applied basic 2nd grade math skills to their present situations alongside a half tablespoon of compassion?
So ultimately, the question Cain would have asked, supposing he stopped and questioned the reliability of his thought process would be "Is it OK to pursue killing Abel?"  And knowing what we know now, sure, that sounds like a "well, duh, of course not!"  The answer to Cain probably seemed obvious too but the conclusion he drew was obviously not the one that we as a society in this date and time would draw.  I don't think he was oblivious to God's opinion on the matter, but I think he most likely reasoned the thing out in his head in a way that is so convoluted he couldn't possibly begin to explain it out loud without immediately realizing how stupid his thought process really was.  I can't speak for anyone in Generation 2.0 of humanity, but I know that does tend to be how my thought process goes at times and it's usually when I'm on the precipice of some kind of failing.

I can't speak for Moses or Cain or even my own closest family members, two of whom I share an address with, but I can say that I have spent many many hours, probably weeks altogether counted, if one were capable of counting undocumented things like emotions, feeling anger and bitterness, in varying levels of consciousness, and in varying degrees.  I think a lot of it has been unjust, as much as I struggle to see it as so in those moments.  I think the only thing that has kept me not guilty of murder is the watchful eye of others and the forceful hand of the government.  God knows what I would have done and and when if not for these things.  God has won me over gradually and has given me the wisdom to understand the bulk of His Word.  Thanks be to God for this opportunity to enter through the Narrow Gate and not the needle's eye.  I'm not wealthy and by the standards of the U.S. gov't and its' people, I am poor, and truly I own nothing, for it is by the mercy of taxpayers who have been shown mercy by God that I am allowed to even live under a roof of this size.  I do have money that is written out to me by the government and I am trying ever more to use that money wisely but I often still fail more than I feel like I should be at this point in my walk with Christ.  I do feel like if I had more money, I would simply be that much bigger of a failure in my usage of it.  I find the pursuit of material goods to be a distraction when I have the slightest bit of money to spend.

No comments: