Thursday, July 21, 2022

"everything that happens"

 Mr. C was telling me that "everything that happens is of God's will

And then I responded "So we're all just operating on puppetry?"
He responded with a contradictory response, like He wants me to submit to His will.  And that "when you have a sinful thought".....
This was prompted by a rather open ended question that I answered as accurately as anyone can.  "What does The Bible say about God's sove renty?" 

The Bible doesn't say anything about God's sovereinty other than to say He's sovereign.  The Bible makes a lot of references to God's sovereinty that give us a good reason to pause and think for a moment.  But it doesn't say anything specifically about God's sovereinty. 

For instance --
DANIEL 5:23 

Daniel here, talking to King Nebuknzr's successor
"...but you have risen up against the Lord of heaven; and they have brought the vessels of His house before you, and you and your nobles, your wives, and your concubines have been drinking wine out of them; and you have praised the gods of silver and gold, of bronze, iron, wood, and stone, which do not see, nor hear, nor understand. But the God in whose hand are your life-breath and all your ways, you have not glorified"

That simply refers to the idea that God is able to make and break people's decisions.  If God were merely self serving, He probably would do that.  God does not merely look out for His own interests.  I don't recall any other passages that are even as clear as that passage is about God's sovernty.  I certainly don't recall any passages that talk about His sovereinty in any greater detail. 

I'm not sure why God desires our faith to be tested, if He knows everything.
I don't know why He wants us to repent when He knows everything from beginning to end.
I don't know why He wants to give Hellbound souls an opportunity to repent when everything is pre-ordained.
---
I have to wonder if there are moments --- however precious few they may be --- where God is genuinely surprised.  Not like a person would be surprised.  God is always ****at least**** 15 steps ahead of us, He knows how we come to our decisions and what the consequences of yesterday's actions have on today's actions and what today's actions will store up for tomorrow and so forth.  It's usually pretty predictable.  But when God sees something, a choice, a sliver of goodness, that He didn't directly cause, but no less is qualified to take full credit for because He is the author and creator of all goodness (He may grant some of that credit to the co-author, so to speak, but I don't think He wants us resting on our laurels, so He does often hold back His applause...)

Anyway...
I don't know what I was going to say further.  Or if there is anything to say further.
Sorry for the abrupt ending....  I'm probably just talking out of my ass anyhow.........:/

No comments: