Wednesday, July 23, 2008

dark

I saw THE DARK KNIGHT Monday. On Thursday I got an email from Kmart telling me that if I bought 3 bags of Reese's candy by the 19th (the end of;) that I would be eligible for a free movie ticket for THE DARK KNIGHT. So on Saturday I did that, bought the candy and redeemed the code online, and brought the certificate to the movie theater. I didn't want to go on Saturday, 'cause the theaters are usually quite crowded then. It's bad enough in a small theater, 'cause you still never know whose gonna start talking to the screen like a dang maniac or whose gonna depend on the person sitting next to them to explain the movie to them while they're watching it. And before the film starts, IF you look at the screen then, you'll see SEVERAL warnings like "silence your cell phones", "silence during the film" etc. etc.,; but does anybody actually pay any attention? It wasn't too bad on Monday, prolly 'cause everyone there felt the same as I do about that kind of stuff, which may explain why they chose Monday to see it. It as eleven 0'clock in the morning too, although it was like 1:30 or after when I got out, 'cause the film was 157 minutes long plus the trailers.

But alas, I was not too terribly pleased with the film. It just seemed like a big mess of scenes put together without any cohesive narrative style. The trailers for the movie made it seem like it was going to be GREAT, 'cause they a) took parts of the movie out of context and b) took the few would-have-been good scenes (such as the scene where The Joker's stolen semi-truck was turned upside down) and made them look better than they were.

This wouldn't be such a big disappointment, but the last time I went to the theater prior to THE DARK KNIGHT was to see BATMAN BEGINS and that was over 3 years ago. I had all my money riding on this thing and it fell flat. At least I got the ticket for free...well, sorta; it'd also been awhile since I'd bought candy bars in bags...

No comments: