Sunday, May 24, 2009

What exactly makes The real Ghostbusters so great?

Well, aside from the fact that the GB logo, a genius work of art in and of itself, is featured all over it...

As (some of) you may know, the 1986-1991 hit animated television show, THE REAL GHOSTBUSTERS was released on DVD earlier this year. I was sorta excited, just 'cause I had been losing hope of anything GB being tapped into...of course, following the news of the RGB being released to DVD, along comes the news that REALLY tickles me pink: ACTION FIGURES!!! - and possibly a 3rd movie, re-shaped with a new creative team, with assistance from the original brains of course...
except I don't even know if a third movie really will be that great. I'll prolly buy tickets to it if it doesn't look totally stupid like THE BRADY BUNCH MOVIE (1995) or THE 40 YEAR OLD VIRGIN (2005) or MR DEEDS (2000). I swear, does the term "comedy" ALWAYS, or SO SELDOMLY, have to be devoid of any intellect? LIAR LIAR (1997) and RUTHLESS PEOPLE (1986) were comedic genuis. Why can't smart people, or at least ppl who aren't complete idiots, go to the theater and enjoy a well made film?
Anyway; I got rid of GBII, and I'm not missing it too terribly. Some of the images stay with me; I don't know why...seeing the move in its 108 minute entirety is usually rather pointless though.
The first movie, GHOSTBUSTERS, is pretty good, but if it weren't for the Stay Puft scene, an indescribably thrilling moment in cinema history, the film would equal much less.
I finally bought RGB volume one (not the whole series, I don't HAVE that kind of money) and am selling it as soon as I can. I mean, really, there's nothing that great about the show. I don't like the style of animation, I don't generally like animated stuff as it is, and the stories are fairly generic, repetitive, and the visuals are so-so...
I guess I'm no longer a "die-hard" Ghostbusters fan...who woulda thunk?

No comments: