Saturday, September 19, 2009

turn turn turn it on again (, and maybe again?)

I'm listening to TURN IT ON AGAIN: THE HITS (THE TOUR EDITION) by Genesis on Imeem. I'm on track #18 (i.e.: 1st track of disc 2, I've gotten past disc 1!!), which is progress. For some reason, I've never been able to sit through past 13 or so tracks, and even that was a struggle. I was listening to it on Rhapsody back before I'd heard of Imeem. I guess I was in a different frame of mind, not as content with things, idk...I mean, it's not the GREA-TEST(!) experience listening to the same song for the 20,000th time, but with Genesis why not? Well, there's reasons, I think...except I can't think of any specifically...

It's interesting 'cause 10 of the songs on the first disc are from WE CAN'T DANCE (1991) and INVISIBLE TOUCH (1986). If they had released those songs alone, it would still be over 40 minutes of music (I think). Then there's 24 other songs to add to it, that's pretty cool. Of course, what Genesis 'hits' collection would be relevant without "Follow You, Follow Me" and "That's All" (1978 and 1983 respectively)?

Not sure if there's any point in buying it though...it's $15 apprx, and...what good is it gonna do me? there's so many equal or better ways to waste my time, and I've already bought just about every Genesis CD available, at least as far as one's with new material go, all their live CDs, and even their TURN IT ON AGAIN non-tour-edition, and their Starbucks CD (dumb idea I realize after the fact...). So I think I'll probably relish in this dwindling moment (I'm on the ABACAB years right now, and anything pre-1986 gets progressively worse without the context of the albums they came from...and even then the music isn't as strong unless you're talking about their 70's output...).

~JWC

No comments: