Tuesday, July 13, 2010

dangerous beauty

Last year, circa late summer, I became aware of an ultra-passionate pop-punk/emo hybrid band named THE DANGEROUS SUMMER.  Via the previously mentioned (see most recent post excluding this 1) Napster on-demand streaming audio service, I just finished listening to a live EP (simply titled "Live In Baltimore"; I checked at 11:55 apprx central time and Amazon didn't have it for sale yet, but I guess Napster isn't as strict about who and when they can listen in...) and surprisingly, they actually know how to play their instruments & sing... - either that or they have a bag of tricks at their disposal - which would be weird b/c THE STARTING LINE (same genre, except less emo)'s semi-recently released live recording sounds like CRUD!  And TSL have been around longer & are sorta the poster boys for emo-y pop-punk (which admittedly isn't as popular as the snot-nose pop-punk, i.e.: FALL OUT BOY, GREEN DAY...)
  So now I'm revisiting their full-length debut, and I'm just not impressed.  Crazy, they sound better live.  If only it weren't a whopping 22 minutes long...parting is the pits...

No comments: