Monday, June 20, 2011

almost brushed my teeth...

I (finally) took a shower yesterday, after a week of not doing that.  Aaah!  I thought about the fact that I was too tired to brush my teeth and knew I was gonna pay for that...I did brush them this morning, but I'm about due for another shower - HOOOOOMID!
 Been listening to Bayside quite a bit the last 2 or 3 days.  Mainly SHUDDER (2008) and THE WALKING WOUNDED (2006).  I finally bought SIRENS AND CONDOLENCES (2004) a couple months ago, don't know what kept me from doing so way sooner.  I did buy their 2011 release KILLING TIME a couple weeks after its release date, even though I don't like it as much as their Victory Records output.  Hopefully they'll go back to the raw emotion of their "older" recordings.  Or maybe I just need to open up more, idk...pop-punk is nice, but it gets old really fast.  Panic! At The Disco's VICES AND VIRTUES was amazing on the first several listens, but, just like All Time Low's NOTHING PERSONAL and every other loud and shiny album of the last few years, it gets to be rather hard on the nerves.  In the case of VICES AND VIRTUES, I can't help but get the feeling that I'm hearing someone making noises with a rusty saw in the background of the music.  The production just reeks of an old house on its last leg.  All Time Low's NOTHING PERSONAL is perfect in the production dept, but the music is a bit shallow.  KILLING TIME on the other hand just doesn't have any songs that stand tall on their own, which is important when judging pop-punk.  VICES AND VIRTUES probably would have some standout tracks (apprx half the album), but the production just soils them.
  But I probably will order Bayside's THE WALKING WOUNDED and SHUDDER.  I've been listening to Silverstein's DISCOVERING THE WATERFRONT a bit since yesterday.  It's a pretty good CD too, but not as good as the work of Bayside.

No comments: