Tuesday, June 21, 2011

an emotional episode - Vol. 1-12

These are the twelve (twelve!!!!) CDs I think, based on their emotional resonance, are ones to keep:

American Football - s/t
Bayside - s/t
Bayside - Shudder
Bayside - Sirens And Condolences
Bayside - The Walking Wounded
Best Coast - Crazy For You
Genesis - Invisible Touch
Hidden In Plain View - Resolution
Hootie & The Blowfish - Cracked Rear View
Matchbox 20 - Yourself Or Someone Like You
Oingo Boingo - Skeletons In The Closet: The Best Of
PrimeSTH - Underneath The Surface

I chose these based on a combination of factors: the # of times I can listen to them in a short period of time w/o getting sick of it/them, their personal value (i.e.: nostalgia, where they fit in in my past, and the history of pop culture in general, and weather or not they say something about me...), and also how good they are (of course!).  I might add Trespassers William's DIFFERENT STARS and HAVING to the list.  It's been a loong time since I've been able to enjoy the entirety of DIFFERENT STARS and it's been probably just as long with HAVING.  I used to be pretty big on The Cranberries and Third Eye Blind, I think Trespassers William are one of those bands that just get left behind in the fields of time.  TPW's HAVING is better than DIFFERENT STARS, imo, but the production is so dang dense, the melodies, some of which are just classic, just don't resonate after 50 or so listens.  I'll revisit them from time to time, on occasion, probably on Pandora Radio, but I doubt I'll relish owning any CDs by them should I ever re-buy HAVING or DIFFERENT STARS.
  BTW, I think I prefer Third Eye Blind's newer music, from 2003 onward, but they've yet to make an entire album of good++ music.  I hope the consistency of their first two albums will someday (soon?!) merge with the passion of their current-er work.  As for The Cranberries, I think my tastes have changed a bit and they no longer fit in with how I feel about things...BURY THE HATCHET was their only really good album, imo.

No comments: