Thursday, July 19, 2012

The End

Kate Bush - The Whole Story
Genesis - Live/The Way We Walk Vol. 2: The Longs
Oingo Boingo - Skeletons In The Closet: The Best Of
Starship - Knee Deep In The Hoopla
Various - Ghostbusters OST

Every time I thought about saying goodbye, it didn't feel right.  I always discarded these things, after all, why would it be wrong to keep a CD that I don't listen to?  I think I figured out the answer a few days ago - the CD format itself is useless.  I don't need it.  I like it b/c it brings me back to the warm comfort of my early childhood (age 0-5).  I remember being mesmerized by the tray sliding out of my father's CD player and seeing the GHOSTBUSTERS soundtrack inside it.

I'm used to listening to songs in an album format.  I think part of that is because of habit, but a lot of that has more to do with me being lazy.  Creating a playlist that I only listen to once seems like a lot of work for nothing.  Lately I've been trying to envision how a play list would flow, and to aid in that endeavor, I click "play" on a song in my Amazon Cloud player, intending to click "play" on another song that I think would flow easily into that one.  But the more I don't get to the "ideal" following song's "play" button in time to avoid hearing some other song (they're laid out in alphabetical order by song title), the more I realize I don't need a playlist.  Hearing random songs is just as orderly as hearing songs on the radio.  I used to think the radio station song choosers (which are now computers) had a very meticulous way of choosing songs, based on the weather and an uncanny knack for knowing which songs flow into each other.  I think I got it all wrong though.  The only way two songs wouldn't flow into one another is if one sucks and one doesn't.

I'll keep the 5 CDs mentioned above, but I don't see the point in buying anything on CD unless it's A) REALLY good B) cheaper than the MP3 version.  And if A) outdoes B) I might buy the mp3 version anyway, simply b/c I know I don't need a bunch of CDs laying around and will get rid of the CD on those grounds, which will put me in the position of not having the music I want when I want it.

Naturally the next logical step would be buying an mp3 player.  I don't think I need one.  Even if I DID have a job, I don't see where the mp3 player would service me.  "May I take your order?  Wait, let me take off my earbuds...".  A USB stick will probably do just fine.

No comments: