Sunday, July 1, 2012

TV DESTINO

I'm using my Gramma's 15"(?) Durabrand SD TV.  It gets the job done.  My mouth waters when I see what else TVs have to offer - LED-lit, internet apps and this Samsung I just added to my Amazon wish list even has a web browser(!).

It's weird though, b/c even though I've thought about it a few times lately, I haven't watched GHOSTBUSTERS in, like, at least a month, and the last time I spent time with it I only watched less than half of it.  I have THE LAST UNICORN on Blu, b/c it's the only legal format to own it in that isn't bleached out or censored.  The most recent DVD experience I've enjoyed was Genesis - Live At Wembley Stadium (July 1-4, 1987 fka The Invisible Touch Tour, released on VHS in 1988).  I watched about 17 minutes of Alfred Hitchcock's VERTIGO, and was mildly interested in it.  I'm not sure I'll go back and see the rest.
  The TV I'm using now is mainly just a way to listen to my CDs.  If I kept my computer on all day, I could probably make do w/o that feature, too...but as much time as I spent as a wee lad with GHOSTBUSTERS, and as much as it spends in my head from time to time, I can't bear the thought of NOT HAVING a TV of SOME kind!  And if I didn't have speakers of some kind, thus nullifying the purpose of a Blu-ray and/or CD player, I would probably want an MP3 player...lately my computer's been having trouble streaming...Windows Media Player burned a CD a couple days ago, w/o issue thankfully.  I used to use Media Monkey, which I thought was cool & all, but even after un-installing & re-installing, CD burning hadn't been going well.  The CD-Rs would have cracks & pops throughout.  It happened first right after I bought some Maxell "Pro" CD-Rs, with a scratch-resistant(er) coating and some other feature that isn't coming to mind, or that I can't remember...I got those from J&R, and called them to see how much it would cost to return them, if anything.  They refunded me straight up, w/o a return needed...I thought about that earlier tonight and came to the conclusion that I should probably buy more CD-Rs from them, preferably the same kind...Anyway...If I had the Samsung, it would detract from the time it takes to have the computer on, since I can browse the web from there & most of what I do online is check email.  No need to have the computer on just for that...oh, and shopping on Amazon and price comparing via Google Shopping would be nice too...I think the only things you can't do with a TV's web-browser is use streaming music sites like Rdio or Mog, and watch movies on Amazon or Netflix.  I tried using Amazon VOD on my Mom's Wii and it wouldn't let me.  I don't know WHY, but that's the way it goes, I guess...so if stuff like that isn't available in the App-package, then it isn't usable on it.
  The Samsung TV I'm oggling is $500, but I figure $60 of that is saved by not needing a Roku and $100 is also saved by not needing a wi-fi antenna, which would have come in handy with my Roku LT that I bought earlier this year or late in Dec. 2011; music and movies would cut & stutter, and if it was about to rain it would get worse.  A powerline wall plug in adapter (or whatever they're called) would have presumably improved that.  Someone on Amazon said Blu ray players are not generally good at online streaming & that TVs w/ built-in apps tend to work better for that.  BTW, my blu ray player has 'net apps, but it needs to be plugged in to a router, which, in my household, is upstairs...which I suppose could be changed, but between the fact that neither me nor my mom know jack about how to set-up wi-fi or anything like that, and the fact that I hardly ever used Netflix back when I had my Roku (I know, right?!), AND the fact that users generally don't find anything positive to say about my Panasonic BD75's streaming capabilities...I just ain't doin' it.
  So anyway...it's still a boatload of $.  My sister might (or might not) give me some $ in 2013, or let me get my Circuit Breaker check like I had been doing (she asked me & my mom not to file for it b/c she spends $800 in income tax b/c she has to claim our rent as income, I guess b/c she's paying property tax and isn't living in her property, and her regular income doesn't support apt rent AND a mortgage, and if the gov't put 2&2 together they would figure out: someone's paying her to live in her house & they should get their cut!).  I don't know what's going to happen as far as that goes; the typical $ I get doesn't lend itself to the idea of saving.  There's probably a few months out of the year that I'm scot free to save at least half of my $75/mo, but that's only $40(ish) and the rest of the year I'm either buying gift(s) and I don't have an easy time with the concept of saving $.
  But like I said, I don't really watch movies that much.  A cheap TV would only cost $100 if I need to buy one either b/c my gramma wants her TV back or it dies out while in my care.  My sister probably could do that or me when/if that happens....and then I can just add some computer speakers to it (via a 3.5mm jack) for better sound quality if the TV I buy can't satisfy me requirements for listening to music.  I'm not really too terribly picky about sound quality, but there are limits of course.....if I end up with god-awful speakers in the TV & no headphone jack, that TV will probably need to go back to the seller & replaced with a (slightly?) more expensive TV......but if Heaven landed on earth, it would look a lot like the Samsung TV in my wish list.  I figure it's time to stop dreaming small.

No comments: