Sunday, January 5, 2014

all of a sudden i miss everyone...

I swear, I feel so sad today.  Every good thing is either an attempt to fit in or ground breakingly sad.

Things I'm genuninely interested in buying if/when I have $

THE NEXT VOICE YOU HEAR: THE BEST OF JACKSON BROWNE
SPITALFIELD - REMEMBER RIGHT NOW
SPITALFIELD - BETTER THAN KNOWING WHERE YOU ARE (*CORRECTION: I actually listened to 4 or 5 songs from this CD and it pretty much sucks, so just pretend I didn't include this on the list)
NEW ORDER - LOW-LIFE
DASHBOARD CONFESSIONAL - THE PLACES YOU HAVE COME TO FEAR THE MOST

I don't know, I have a hard time finding anyone to get what I say when I say there's a certain kind of melancholly that's exhilerating.  Listening to Spitalfield is like a celebratory experience, I guess like when normal/happy people go to parades and bask in the traditions of their community(?)
Jackson Browne's "The Next Voice You Hear" is a run-of-the-mill folk rock record that quickly escalates into a deeply personal catalog of sadness, and then "The Barricades Of Heaven" breaks through and it's like the end of some cheesy movie when someone jumps through a waterfall and turns into a bird...idk...hard to explain...weird...(?)

Things I thought about buying for their "cool"-factor:

FORREST GUMP (a really good movie, but I don't remember the last time I watched it...I saw it repeatedly the first couple of years after I got old enough to enjoy serious art of this sort, but how many times can someone with active brain cells watch the same freakin' movie???)
TERMINATOR 2: JUDGMENT DAY (Interesting and exciting, but all artfullness has been excavated over the course of 100 viewings)
FIGHT CLUB (a goth chick I wanted to be a part of said it was the best movie, so I think of her and I think of it)
(500) DAYS OF SUMMER reminds me of the aforementioned goth chick
THURSDAY - FULL COLLAPSE - The emo record that started the uptick in signed emo bands circa 2002-2005
THE GET UP KIDS - SOMETHING TO WRITE HOME ABOUT - the emo album that got audiences talking about emo


No comments: