Tuesday, March 17, 2015

It's black, it's white...but is it remastered? Or is it Memorex? (take that, haha!)

REMEMBER THE TIME...
when Michael Jackson's BAD (1987) was on CD, with no bonus tracks except for an "exclusive to CD" (back when cassette tapes and vinyl were still popular) song titled "Leave Me Alone"?  Remember it had a back cover-art of a B&W pic of Michael in a sweater with his arms crossed?  Remember the front had an image of Michael standing confident wearing a crazy biker-belt-buckle-chain-link-fence-gang uniform thingy?
  Remember in 2001 when the "special edition" was released and it DID NOT have the back cover-art referred to above and was replaced with an image of Michael jumping into a moshpit(???)??!!  Remember in 2012 when the "25th Anniversary" edition was released and it re-put the back cover like it had once been BUT CHANGED THE FRONT COVER-ART???  Yeah, I know it's the "same basic" image, but for crying out loud, that front cover-art was ICONIC, not just the uniform but EEEEVERY-thing!!
Well, the one very good thing about MJ's BAD since 2001 is the remastered sound.  I don't know if this 2014 copyrighted re-issue is remastered like it's 2001/2012 or if it's got entirely new remastering altogether or if it's the EXACT SAME disc that I saw at The Warehouse in California for $16.99 + tax circa 1996...heck, even the print on the disc is almost identical to the basic style pre-2001 pressings that you could buy just about anywhere, except it has an added "FBI Anit-Piracy Warning" logo and a Michael ballet dance feet logo that was used for his "MJJ Productions" etched/lasered(?) onto the disc...
I'll have to listen to find out.  Just thought I'd release this excitement before it gets stale and dissipates.
And yes, I know I'm WAAAY too informed about Michael Jackson's BAD.  I have, had, am slowly getting rid of a stupid bad habit of owning, selling, and re-buying.  I think in the year 1998 alone I owned MJ's BAD three times.  The same can probably be said of 1996 before I moved to Missouri.
The bonus tracks on the 2001 S.E. are good, not exactly essential except for maybe (maybe) "Streetwalker", which doesn't really fit in with the rest of the album, IMO, what I really liked about the S.E. was the interview footage w/ Quincy Jones.  I had no idea "Bad" was envisioned as a duet w/ Prince.  Damn it, Prince, why do you have to be so damn prissy!  He said no, supposedly having cited "it'll be a hit without me", but obviously the guy was missing the entire point of the whole thing or he's too proud to put his differences aside and work for the Greater Good! (the greater good in this case being the need to put on a dynamic spectacle of epic proportions to wow the masses!)
So...this is the...17th?...time I've owned it.  I'm getting better tho, I'm not lying!  I could give examples...like the last time I bought SKELETONS IN THE CLOSET: THE BEST OF OINGO BOINGO was over 2 years ago!  And the copy I presently own isn't even in "mint condition" (although it's close enough for most dayz).

I sold a DVD I bought for $2 at a pawn shop for $5.50!!!  And I picked up a clearance rental of BLUE CAPRICE at Family Video here in Cape Gr., which I had a while ago tried watching via rental ($3 or thereabouts), and wasn't too impressed with, but knew it could be resold for close to or more than double what Family Video was charging me(?) to "own" it b/c I went home 1st and looked at Amazon to see what the mnm price was/is.  I don't know exactly how much I got for BC, but I sold a mass market paperback of Dr. Crichton's JURASSIC PARK, an old BMG Music Club CD (no barcode), and the pawn shop DVD + BLUE CAPRICE and a Kate Bush CD (HOUNDS OF LOVE) for a whopping $12.  The Kate Bush CD might've been worth $2 or $3, doubt it tho, and the BMG Music Club CD was only given $0.25 and I don't even wanna discuss the possibility of having gotten more than $1 for a mass market paperback of an old book, even if it is soon to be the center of attention of those casually revisiting the pages of semi-recent history...so, do the math doofus, it's got to be at least $4 they gave me for BLUE CAPRICE.  I made money on it!  The exact profit margin is hard to determine tho.

No comments: