Friday, September 18, 2015

THE GODFATHER of All Movies!

THE GODFATHER (1972) is the movie to end all movies.
It's everything a movie should be - a painting that moves.
The story is somewhat incoherent and what can be discerned is rather faulty, since it's basically a knee-jerk reaction to the political unrest that was felt during the institutionalized slaughter of many Americans for the sake of money (two knee jerk reactions don't make either one right!).
It's an interesting film, even if you take out the political context of the times in which it was made.  It's interesting if you don't.  I suppose it's food for thought you might say.  But the most impressive thing about it is the look and feel of the movie.  It just glides seemingly w/o effort.  The fact is making any movie, even a crappy movie, is a lot of work.  I don't use that as a defense for trying to sell crap to consumers.  I especially despise those who DO use that as an excuse!  If you don't know you suck at making movies, you can certainly figure that out when you've finished making a movie and you find out it sucks!  I can't imagine a masterpiece being perceived as a failure.  I can perhaps see a masterpiece being perceived as mediocre.  Elton John and Bernie Taupen once downplayed the magnificence of the classic/iconic/seminal hit "Your Song", saying everything else they wrote was equally good.  If the duo indeed felt passionate about everything they wrote, I fail to see how.  But I guess I don't count.  I do see how "Your Song" rises above the rest of the crop, but it's still not by any means one of my favs.  Elton's music is reminiscent of The Eagles and Fleetwood Mac.  They all got some memorable songs, but they have no important role in my life.  A song that I remember but feel nothing for is to soundwaves what snot is to my nostrils.

I thought about getting rid of my copy of THE EXORCIST (1973).  I do not feel any detectable sympathy for the characters.  I certainly am not horrified by the depictions of demonic possession.  I do not feel the triumph of God in the final scenes.
The movie can best be described as somber.  The whole thing.
I guess that's why I've clung to it so many years.
In a large way, it's enjoyability is akin to that of THE GODFATHER -- it's got a more coherent story than that, but it's just as meaningless.  There is some thought to glean from it and folks in its new release days were often horrified to the point of fainting.  William Friedkin stated on the 25th Anniversary Edition introduction that the film could make you challenge your sanity.  He didn't really elaborate, but perhaps the mood of the film combined with its staunch religious subject matter was just what some people needed back in 1973/1974 (it was released 6 days before the beginning of 1974).  There were seemingly forces that didn't want the film made.  I would suspect those were demonic forces?  I doubt the film pissed off God.  I'm sure there were many people whose faith was re-affirmed after seeing that film and perhaps a few phony church goers who felt the need to really think about what it is they believe and I suspect some of them may have been lost for good.  It's hard to say.

anyway; back on my shelf it goes.  I had it listed on Amazon.  I'm glad it didn't sell.  I took it off an hour(?) ago and when I can get off my ass for some reason other than to eat, I will insert it between "E.T.: and "GHOSTBUSTERS" (I don't own any films that start with "F", although I did own FORREST GUMP not long ago....)

No comments: