Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Funk you!

Funko hit a home run with their "Pop!" vinyl doll thingies.  I was glad when the finally about f***ing time introduced GHOSTBUSTERS Pop Vinyl's.  I was further encouraged when they introduced other toylines and made GHOSTBUSTERS a part of them too.  Vinyl Idolz, Titans, and now there's these Dorbz figures.  I don't know if Dorbz in general are a new thing, but I'm getting sick of this.  The Pop! figures are an utter waste of $10 (give or take + tax), and the Vinyl Idolz are slightly less stupid but double the price.  The Titans are the only ones that I have *any* interest in simply because they look like actual toys and not some kind...whatever the hell the Pop! and the Dorbz are supposed to be...they may strike a cool factor with anime fans...idk...
Mattel is supposed to be doing their own GHOSTBUSTERS stuff in conjunction with the 2016 movie.  I can't wait 'til the trailer comes out.  The only film I've seen of the director's is THE HEAT (which I didn't watch much of b/c it was just flat out dumb in every respect).  The new SPY movie is supposedly better and I haven't seen BRIDESMAIDS but that came out before THE HEAT and I get the impression the director may have learned how to do full length motion pictures "on the job"...from a visual standpoint, THE HEAT looked to me like what a cartoon would look like if it was acted out instead of drawn/painted...
However much the film does (or doesn't) suck, it's going to be nice having a tidal wave of GHOSTBUSTERS merch around me again.  I keep thinking "I can't buy any of it!" because I could very well not be getting any more money from October (?) 2016 onward.  I had no idea until a couple (?) months ago that SSI was slated for depletion so damn soon.  I thought SSI was funded alongside Social Security.  Turns out there's some kind of trustfund that was set up independent of Social Security.  I guess this was in the news back in 2012, but apparently I wasn't keeping up enough with tings.
Weird thing is I don't even care.  Maybe I'm just due for a nap, but I don't care.  That strikes me as both sad and worrisome.  What is there to keep a person from dying on the inside if they find nothing that "makes" them happy?
I guess I'm just stuck in this perpetual state of "Let's go to the mall!".  I always loved the mall as a little kid but we rarely were able to go.  Between my dad not wanting to spend money on anything but himself and my mom being so depressed, it was not as common as I would have liked.
It's weird.  It's been a nerve wracking thing, the whole experience of "shopping".  It's not a whole lot of fun by yourself.  My mom can once in a great while enjoy it.  Or seem to anyway.  It was like 1996 or so, I was 13, give or take a few months, and I asked my mom to take me to the mall.  We got there and she was like "so what did you want to do here?"  I was totally caught off guard.  I didn't have much if any money (allowance) and I doubt she did either, so the only thing I could think of that didn't cost a boat ton of money was sit down and eat.  We had some cinnamon rolls, very good ones.  My mom insists they were Cinnabon roles.  Maybe they were.  I remember it being a very plainly laid out eatery type place.  Like one of those pizzareas on some corner of downtown Chicago or something...maybe that was Cinnabon's angle back then.  The one the mall in Cape, Missouri used to have was more sparkling et al. 
Anyway...shopping in general has gotten to be more of a game than it should be  A difficult one to win at that.  It is imperative that I fold.

No comments: