Thursday, January 17, 2019

ain't no ting

Pale Waves' MY MIND MAKES NOISES (Sept 28 2018) is, for the time being, "out".  Not sure why exactly.  I have to admit there are a few duds on the album, songs I've never felt all too fond of.  But even the songs that had my heart going full throttle are just kinda "meh" nowadays.  I don't know.  I also haven't been digging CHVRCHES' LOVE IS DEAD (May 25th, 2018) which has a similar modern day synthpop sound.  Listening to Steve Winwood's BACK IN THE HIGH LIFE (1986), which I've often over the last several years cited as being too repetitive and much of the time feel is just too mellow and monotonous.  It might be going smoother because I'm not just sitting or standing listening to it with undivided attention.
GHOSTBUSTERS 3 (or something to that effect) is coming!!!  Summer 2020 is their target.  I'm guessing either SONY/Columbia Pictures is secretly agreed to it or the filmmakers are assuming SONY et al. *will* agree to it.  No greenlight has been made public.
Maybe I'm wrong, but it looks like Avril Lavigne has decided to jump on the CCM bandwagon.  I don't know if it's necessarily an insincere cash grab.  She very well be a misguided soul victim of the oft cited notion that being a Christian is merely about knowing the story of Jesus Christ and evoking His name here and there.  Her new album comes out next month on the 15th.
American Football, after a full 20 years since their debut was released, and only 3 years since their last album, have returned with -- LP3 (self titled v 3.0).  I wonder if their record label will make them change LP4 into something with an actual title like Geffen did to Peter Gabriel when he decided to release SECURITY (1982).
Mike Rutherford is actually in action...I hadn't heard any word on his professional life (or lack thereof) since a couple years ago he and his crew of "Mechanics" released this incredibly dull album...not even sure what it was called.  I've never been much of a fan of Mike + The Mechanics.  I liked a few of their songs, but I don't think they have enough good songs on their hands to make even a modest size Greatest Hits type release.  I can think of maybe 4 songs that they did that I truly like, and maybe 3 or 4 more that are so-so.  They might have a few nuggets buried somewhere on their albums scattered here and there, but I've never heard them or been enticed into hearing them.  I like his guitar work especially on Genesis' ballads.  That riff he had on "Follow You Follow Me" was rather nifty and the way his axe was handled on "Hold On My Heart" was even more impressive.  I can't believe how many people find it difficult to like that song because it's "too slow".  I heard this bootleg where the audience, somewhere like in Germany or something, was getting ready to boo Genesis off the stage after about the 4 minute mark of the song being played.  They tried to keep going, but caved in and wrapped it up and then as if mocking the crowd decided to give them a hair band-esque rendition of "Jesus He Knows Me".
Anyway...I don't usually hear about Mike Rutherford doing anything except crappy Mike + The Mechanics music, which is seldom as it is.  But he's contributed guitar work on this German abstract pop musician's upcoming album.  I had never heard of the guy.  The guy's stage name is Schiller, because it started out as a duo, not just one guy with some friends helping out here/there, but it's now just down to one guy, so it's kind of like a solo project much like Owl City (to cite a more well known example; obviously the music itself is different, or at least I'm assuming it is...)
Hmmm...
Been weary about the concept of "being a Christian" as of late.  Paul speaks a few instances of being "set apart for destruction".  And in one of his writings, he talks about God electing people.  I'll do what I can, but I don't expect to get into Heaven.  If God permits it, great.  If not, then, well, maybe --- with any luck --- Hell isn't as bad as they say.......or maybe there's some 3rd door that The Bible doesn't talk all that much about. 
I finished The Old Testament with the exception of Psalms and Proverbs.  I started out on The One Year Bible as annotated by Charles Stanley, which had the psalms and proverbs broken up to accompany different sections of the Old & New Testament beside each other, then I started using this Bible app, I think it's called "YouVersion", not sure.  The app icon just says "Bible" on it.
Anyway; I finished it and found that the stories I've heard, such as Satan being a beautiful angel who fell from Heaven because he contested God and was banished to Hell etc, none of that was in The Old Testament.  But then i got to looking this up and it actually IS in The Bible, but it's written is a sort of stream of consciousness manner, like in the middle of a different topic, it just goes off on this almost riddle for the reader to figure out.  I did suspect when I was reading it that it was referring to Satan, but I was given no confirmation, at least none that I was sure of.  The Holy Spirit may have said "yes, that's it, you're on it" but all the voices in my head sound the same.  Not to imply that I "hear" voices, but I've never had a thought that I could say without uncertainty was from The Holy Spirit.

No comments: