Thursday, June 11, 2020

let's go to the mobies

Also check out Psycho Stick's debut "We Couldn't Think Of A Title"
I didn't know what Antebellum meant before Lady Antebellum changed their name from that to Lady A (What does the "A" stand for?  "Uhhm...none of your business!")
https://www.rt.com/usa/491567-lady-antebellum-name-change-slavery/


 I understand not siding with racism.  I understand that racist cops exist and its almost impossible to weed them out.  Cops need to have each others' back, but they need to uphold the law.  This whole mess of cops committing atrocities, and then weeks later, they finally lose their job AND their pay, and no charges are filed, is disgusting. 

However, I really don't understand why everyone is so hateful of police in general.  Thousands upon thousands of police departments, and how many cops per department?   There probably is a lot more corruption in most police departments than their should be, coercing of witnesses, tricking confessions from people...That stuff pisses me off.  There's nothing I can do to prevent that from happening to me except remain silent.  The police don't want to protect the innocent.  They want to punish the guilty.  If someone dies and you're the last person in their circle to speak with the person, the police don't assume you might be innocent.  So if you're in that situation, you need to call for a lawyer, because the interrogation room is probably the closest thing to a trial you will receive.

Because most of us aren't doing government for a living, it's easy to think there's something wrong with the police.  There isn't.  We are all corrupt on some level.  None of us can walk away from our homes and say that we've acted fairly toward one another in our assumptions or perceptions about every person place or thing.  One guy I went to class with back in high school said The Cure sucks.  I said "What songs by them have you heard?  He said "I haven't.  I just know they suck."  Then he balked at me being confused about that.  "Aren't I entitled to an opinion?"  I told him he had nothing to make an opinion from, so why does he have one?  I can understand having a low opinion of an individual or a style of music, but this guy mainly listened to rap and heavy rock.  It's not harmful to have a negative opinion of music, but if we as humans aren't practicing fair judgement on art, then how can we be trusted to treat each other well?

I'm not saying everyone is a hypocritical scumbag.  Many people do try and make an effort to be just and kind, but even such people have their weak spots or moments.

The link I posted above near the top says that "liberals" are saying Hollywood shouldn't make movies where the police are the protagonists.  Seriously?  We are all human.  Police deserve to be honored for their good works as much as any civilian.  Richard Jewell was exsonorated (spellcheck, you evilfffff!) by both the government and Hollywood.  That doesn't mean the cops didn't do a decent investigation and use common sense + scientific reasoning to get the job done.  It just means they got the wrong guy and as I said in one of the above paragraphs, if you are in an interrogation room, it means the cops already decided you're guilty and are only interested in evidence that supports that thesis.  Answer their questions, sure.  Don't keep answering the same questions or start yacking about random stuff.  Ask for a lawyer and shut up.  They really should say that to begin with, instead of waiting until you're charged with something.  But the same facts remain "You have the right to remain silent.  Anything you say can & will be used against you in a court of law.  You have the right to an attorney..."    I'm not saying the police didn't make mistakes in the R.J. case.  I'm saying the average person probably wouldn't have done a better job.


No comments: