Thursday, June 25, 2020

words + exaggeration = racism?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/arizona-councilman-sparks-backlash-after-saying-i-cant-breathe-at-anti-mask-rally/ar-BB15XCFi?OCID=ansmsnnews11

The phrase "I can't breathe" has been adopted as the chant of the anti-police brutality demonstrations that have been happening across the nation, but apparently people forgot that those words actually mean something.  The dictionary's definition of "I" "can't" and "breathe" have not been changed since George Floyd's death.  Exaggerations have not been outlawed either have they?
 Yeah, it's vaguely possible that Guy Phillips could have been mocking George Floyd by using that phrase, but....I mean, is it really necessary to assume the worst about every thing that gets said and done?  I think people should be more offended that he's not willing to cover his face when he goes about.  I just sneezed the other day.  It happens.  My first thought is not "I have COVID-19".  My first thought it someone else might be freaking out about the possibility that I have COVID-19.  How many people have 2 or 3 symptoms of Covid-19 and are not wearing masks and aren't in isolation?  I don't think I have COVID-19, and I think I'm smart enough to assert that in a fairly even light, but how many people are dumb as a doorbell and still think they can diagnose themselves?  There's people around who still think the virus is a media hoax because they don't know anyone personally who has it.  Freedom of opinion is one thing.  Clothing is not a constitution matter.  It's not a state or city legislation matter.  If anything, the government's right to regulate clothing has precedent.  Ever heard of "indecent exposure"?  Saving lives by wearing an extra (non-electronic at that) piece of cloth (of which you can pick your own style etc.-- lots to choose from now) is not unconstitutional.  In an alternate universe where the last words in a sentence are key to understanding it, you could read  LIFE , LIBERTY , and THE PURSUIT OF HAPPINESS as "be happy no matter how many people I maim or oppress"  The pursuit of happiness does not supersede LIFE.  It does not supersede LIBERTY either, and LIBERTY also does not supersede LIFE.  POH and Liberty are not equal in their value.  If you can't be happy without potentially spreading a virus that has thus far caused half a million people to leave behind a guestimate of at least 2 million loved ones to grieve then your happiness and/or the pursuit thereof is simply irrelevant.

No comments: