Tuesday, March 2, 2021

Disposition

My regards;;
hmmm.   I gotta admit first, I haven't seen very many exploitation films.  I saw THE LAST HOUSE ON THE LEFT (1972).  I think that's it.  I don't think HENRY: POSK is considered exploitation, as deeply disturbing as it is.  I never braved into watching HOSTEL. I did watch SAW and TOURISTAS (sp?).  Both struck me as very fake.  Nonetheless, none of those films I just named depict the female body as being anything other than what it is.  All bodies, men's & women's alike, are disposable in the sense that life leaves them and the bodies they inhabit are disposed of (usually it's called"burial").  SCREAM (1996) opens with a guy getting his gut split open after he helplessly tries to prevent his girlfriend from unwittingly cooperating with the killers' "reason" for killing him, while she witnesses it equally helpless.  In TOURISTAS both males and females are lured into danger and suffer at the hands of a Latin American nationalist (I can't remember where specifically the movie takes place).  Of course, FRIDAY THE 13TH and how many? other films indiscriminately depict life being the fragile thing that it is.  This article makes it seem as if there's been a whole genre of what would have to be described as misogyny-driven fantasy torture.  How anyone can admit feeling ok to watch something like that and not feel comfortable admitting they beat their wife and/or children is confusing.  Why would a woman OR a man feel compelled to claim knowledge of, let alone participation in, such a degenerate cluster of movies?  

No comments: