Sunday, April 9, 2023

Scream VII; I think we're getting a little off course here (?)

 From a business standpoint making a SCREAM 7, 8, 9 & 10 etc , would make perfect sense.  Until a decent script can't be conceived or the audience loses interest, it's just a logical move to keep on with the franchise.  But I think we're encroaching a point where the audience of the SCREAM movies is "taking their love of scary movies too far". Not necessarily being guilty of the crimes of Billy Loomis, but at what point do you get from the point of sympathetic listener to a point where you're paying money to hear your patient cry?  To be clear, I don't think we've reached that point *yet*. SCREAM VI looks to be a very well thought out skillfully made film but I'm wondering how much milk this cow is really able to produce before it gets poisoned and people continue to drink it 

Maybe I'm way off base.  I've read that readers and viewers of horror genre work are actually more sympathetic than many other people and it's possible I'm merely projecting my own feelings of trepidation based on my own fear of myself.  However, there have been numerous instances of people donning the "Ghostface" garb and actually killing other people.  At least some of those people were stuffed with hallucinogenics but not all of them.  And I'm not aware of anything really recent.  And there's always the question of Would they have done it anyway had these films never been made?  In some of those instances I'd say probably yes.  In others I'm not really sure at all.

No comments: