Friday, October 10, 2008

boo!

Yeah, right; I scared you good - NOT!

THERE'S NO HORROR FILMS SHOWING IN THE NEXT 14 DAYS according to TVGuide.com. THIS IS BLASPHEMY!

I mean, yeah, they MIGHT (I really don't care either way) be showing some stupid faceless slasher film from the 2000s, or some "modern classic" (?) like SAW or SAW II or whatever, but what about the CLASSICS!??!! What about the tried and true thrills and chills of films like THE SHINING (1980), DAWN OF THE DEAD (1978), CARRIE (1976), CANDYMAN (1992), HELLRASIER (1987), or HALLOWEEN II (1981; I personally prefer that over the original, although I know a lot of people descent on that opinion), or PET SEMATARY TWO (1992?; they both suck, amauturish camera work and whatnot, but if I had to choose between the two, I'd pick the sequel; I like how they took the original and blew it out of proportion or whatever...added a bunch of stuff, more serious subplots, like child neglect and abuse etc.)...I mean, I guess I don't need to list 'em all...I searched for SEVERAL and the only one that was showing was END OF DAYS on Starz, which I don't have, nor do I know anyone (such as my mother/sister) who does. Actually, I think there was another film, I don't remember which one, but that too is on a station that I don't have easy access to (HBO).
It seems like people have grown ashamed of celebrating the fun and spirit of the macabre. Of course, I know there's always been and still is and always will be a segment of the population who considers Halloween to be some sort of pegan holiday that represents evil, but either that segment is growing or...I don't know. I guess in a post 9/11 world, people a) don't feel as easy having fun and/or b) feel more catious about how they have their fun. I've said this for awhile now and I'll say it here and again: unless you ARE one of those heavy-Christian-types who scorns the idea of Halloween, why the heck don't you put your decorations up in AUGUST!! There's NO HOLIDAY in between the 4th of July and Halloween! That gives us 2+ solid months to savor the thrills and chills of the macabre and delight in such "morbid" spirits! Even if that's too much wickendess for your soul to take, that's beside the point. IT IS OCTOBER! - WELL INTO IT! Gimme some blood dang it!
Amen

No comments: