Tuesday, January 19, 2010

poetic lie

I think people pour way too much of themselves into admiration of musical artists. Neil Young and/or Radiohead, etc., may or may not be substantially talanted, but it's hard to tell when people just assume that if you don't like them you have no taste. People talk about Radiohead's OK COMPUTER (1997) and how you have to listen to it repeatedly for it to sink in. Sorry, folks. I did that with Sunny Day Real Estate's DIARY (1994) and I still don't think it's all that. The ONLY CD that took time to "grow on me" was The Get Up Kids' SOMETHING TO WRITE HOME ABOUT (1999) and I still don't like the singer's vocals, even though they somehow manage to display emotion...I also don't like the cardboard-sounding production. But the music is eloquent and passionate. For that it deserves at least 4 stars. But a 5/5? C'mon, people! I swear, people's lack of vision is appalling. I mean, I haven't ever written anything or envisioned anything, specifically, that blows the majority of music out of the water, but at least I know it's possible for someone who has enough talent to do so! I mean, for cryin' out loud, when are people gonna take Get Up Kids' "Company Dime"'s honesty and mix it with Celine Dion's "My Heart Will Go On"'s beauty? Why does all rock (honest) have to be ugly while pop (beautiful) tends to lack in integrity? And then rock artists who come 1/4 of a cm into "pop" territory get ousted for being "sell outs".
I know music is supposed to come from within. But why should anyone aside from people who write the music care unless it does something for someone else? I mean, anyone with enough brain cells and discipline can pick up a guitar and sing or get someone else to sing along with it. Writing a beautiful or ugly melody is not hard to do! Coming up with tiny little details to sandwich between is ALSO not difficult! I was reading a review of a Cap'n'Jazz CD and someone acknowledged that writing a loud thrashy song was not hard to do. Yet he gave the CD 5 freakin' stars b/c of some "details" in between the loudness that I have not picked up on after at least 3 listens...I almost BOUGHT the CD 'cause it was so "radical" or whatever but then I realized I would have been paying an overbloated price for JUNK!
I guess music is supposed to be a social experience, something you can blog about, feel like you're a part of, or whatever. But it doesn't have to be. Why do I have to be hanging around someone in order to like a song? If the song, or album, doesn't stand on its own, then it doesn't deserve 5 stars! If you have to be doing or saying or thinking something in a certain way or any way, in order to enjoy something, that means at least half of the "greatness" is in YOUR head! The artist certainly cannot be credited with how you felt about a song while smoking weed or hanging around someone with a lower I.Q. or whatever!

No comments: