Friday, December 9, 2011

the empire submits - godspeed you-u!

WOW.  I had heard 3 or 4 songs by these guys on my local modern rock station coupled with various online radio sources.
  THIS is AMAZING.  I listened to NEVER TAKE FRIENDSHIP PERSONAL (2005) and didn't really care much for it.  I checked NEW SURRENDER out from the library, was more fond of that, but THIS is AMA-ZING.  (emphasis on Zing!)
  (Zing!).
I sold THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK 2disc limited edition yesterday, after having bought it a few hours earlier that day (yeah, you know, THAT day?...).  For those who aren't already fainting at those two facts put together, let me give you some back story.  George Lucas has committed himself to f*****ng up the STAR WARS legacy by making a 2nd trilogy and fidgeting around needlessly with the first one.  He gave in to fans demand for the ORIGINAL original trilogy to be released on DVD by releasing a somewhat shoddy master of the films on DVD.  But now they are out of print.  So the fact that I bought the 2nd installment of the original trilogy yesterday is amazing.  What's even more amazing is it was only $15 apprx.
  So naturally, since it was OOP, I made some profit.  Eleven dollars to be more specific.  Yeah, I could have savored the moment and bought RETURN OF THE JEDI and eventually A NEW HOPE (my local store that was selling ESB and ROTJ didn't have A NEW HOPE at that time...).  But A) I'm not a big fan of the STAR WARS trilogy.  I'm not a big fan of any movie.  There's movies I like, there's movies I like a lot, probably none that I HAVE to have.  GHOSTBUSTERS is a sound investment b/c it's become a part of me, after most of my childhood spent watching it and its sequel.  And it's a good++ movie so it's watchable on that level too.  Aside from that though there's very few movies I feel compelled to watch time and time again.  A CLOCKWORK ORANGE and THE EXORCIST are two (other) examples.  I sometimes enjoy Gregg Araki's 'nowhere' and Rankin/Bass' THE LAST UNICORN.  I probably re-watch those films more than most other films.
  So anyway.
  When the funds for ESB come to my bank acct, I can buy CITIES(!!).
  And...um...hmm...my roommate moved out yesterday.  I miss her already.  It was nice having her around.  Yesterday I was quite saddened.  I was fine today until I looked in the pantry and it was almost empty.  I almost cried, no lie.  CITIES brightened my spirits tho.  It's supposedly a Christian CD, but it sounds like regular music to me.  I'm not fond of Christian radio b/c the songs just seem to corny.  They have bland lyrics that don't mean anything to me in any way whatsoever and the melodies are almost as bland.  Maybe if I was one of those people that could honestly say I love Jesus/God, it might be different.  I don't hate God like I once did.  Sometimes I wonder weather I dislike him, but it really doesn't matter.  I don't like going to church/parties/social events, and aside from evangelical donations, there's really nothing I can do to prove myself in his eyes.  If I don't have enough faith or whatever it is that makes someone a "Christian", then I guess I'm going to Hell.  Not much else to it.  But I do like this Anberlin CD.  I'd call it a emo with a bit of pop/punk mixed in.
 

No comments: