Saturday, December 24, 2011

I wouldn't have 5 star feedback on Amazon if some sellers had their way...

This is the fact, from what I can see:
The free market world is run by greed and selfishness.  People don't donate, they buy.  They buy based on advertising, whether it be loud and obnoxious ads like TV & radio, or just posting a listing on eBay with the idea in mind that if you build it they will come.  The ads must be honest.  If not, the free market world is no longer anything of meaning, and people have no reason to keep shopping unless someone threatens their life or the life of someone they care about.  But that's not free market.  That's a sequel to Goodfellas.  Whoever reads this and doesn't get it, I guess you should be locked up and put away from civilization.  That probably won't happen though because the justice system has become too soft on crime, largely in part because society has become soft on crime, meaning that most people do not have a sharp sense of morality.  People keep bending the rules until the rules no longer exist.
  But as I was saying, the free market is not The Salvation Army of ChildFund.  The free market is people getting stuff they want or need in exchange for pieces of paper good for stuff the person/people selling the stuff-people-get might want or need.  In a market that is as strong as the USA's, it is illogical and harmful to the strength of the market to donate if you can barely make ends meet.  I only make $700/mo and I have in the past donated.  The market is a very complicated puzzle that I have spent lots of time pondering.  And what I'm writing here is what I have concluded.  And when I say "can barely make ends meet", I mean if there's stuff you want that you can't have, buy it first, then donate if you can.  Even if it's only a few cents, that can go a long way with 300 million citizens doing the same thing as dirt poor people are in countries that a lot of people in the USA have never been to.
  What really bothers me, as a member of the free market, is sellers who think buyers owe them something, like Best Buy and many sellers on eBay, and a lot of your Ma & Pa stores.  If someone buys something by mistake, either b/c they didn't read the fine print or b/c the product was advertised incorrectly, or a buyer ends up with something that breaks in a few months and they paid more than they would have expected to for something of such short longevity, the seller shouldn't act like the buyer promised the seller anything.  Re-stocking fees do make sense if the buyer is too stupid to understand or read the "Fine Print" or the item breaks down within what the buyer insists is an unfair amount of time for the price they paid for it & the seller begs to differ.  Of course, there's usually a "standard return policy" that big box retailers like WalMart, Best Buy, Target etc. have, and that should not include any sort of re-stocking fee, IMO, unless the buyer is just being wishy washy in their decision making and nonetheless opened the product and devalued it.  That's not to say the stores I just mentioned HAVE re-stocking fees toward buyers who open and use something they weren't even sure why they bought, but if they did, I wouldn't complain.  I would just be more careful about what I buy and why.  And I don't know if WalMart & co. have any sort of exceptions to the standard return policy.  They might have at one time or another, before they started waving their "extended warranty" coverage in buyer's faces, making it known that if you don't buy the extra warranty, you either need to pray that it breaks within 3 months to a year (depending on the product), or buy the warranty and know that in 3 years or whenever the extended warranty you might have bought wears out, you very well might need to buy another one of X item...kind of odd, IMO.  WalMart and all the big retailer giants have basically concluded that anything you buy isn't made to last more than 3 years.  Maybe 4 if you buy an expensive TV...seems kind of sad.
  So, yeah...anyway; for now I have 5 star feedback on Amazon b/c they don't count seller feedback.  Sellers have left me good feedback, but it didn't help my rating at all.  All it does is show people that I'm not a total con artist.  When you see people say that I'm difficult to deal with or some b.s. like that, just know it means that I am a buyer who does not put up with sHpit from sellers who can't keep their promises.  Word.

No comments: