Sunday, December 22, 2013

Headlines of Headliners

THE BEST OF THE UNTITLED DECADE (2000-2009)

TAKING BACK SUNDAY - TELL ALL YOUR FRIENDS
DASHBOARD CONFESSIONAL - THE PLACES YOU HAVE COME TO FEAR THE MOST
AVRIL LAVIGNE - LET GO
AIMEE MANN - THE FORGOTTEN ARM
THE FRAY - HOW TO SAVE A LIFE
PARAMORE - RIOT!
OWL CITY - OCEAN EYES

Boo-yah!

THE BEST OF THE CURRENT ONE (SO FAR)

Um...?  I'm drawing a blank...don't know if that's b/c this decade is so spread out between so many fragments or b/c all the "big names" in music are all new incarnations of Madonna/NKOTB...my mom was channel surfing and I heard some talk show people saying something about Lorde having a questionably large qty of nominations, and I don't think too much of the song "Tennis Court", which opens up her PURE HEROINE album.  Lana Del Ray BORN TO DIE seems to be a staple of the current decade, and the first two songs in the album's presented sequence are so-so, the 3rd song just kinda drolls on, while its lyrics strike me as being a re-hash of track 2.  Guess the modern music scene is just too flowery for my ear-buds.  Mumford & Sons, who are pretty big these days, are basically folk-rock and I don't like folk music, although some folk-rock bands/artists have had an appealing [imo] song or two here and there (i.e.: Suzanne Vega's "Luka", although the album that song came off of was kinda synth heavy if the other two songs I've heard from it are any indication [never listened to, or tried to listen to, the whole thing]).  I've kinda given up on today's pop music.  Miley Cyrus' BANGERZ has too many dull moments, the new Avril Lavigne CD is probably the most refreshing thing she's done since 2004's UNDER MY SKIN, but the emotional substance of her debut, and to a lesser extent her aforementioned follow-up (2004's UNDER MY SKIN), is almost vanished.  It feels more like a synth-heavy version of 2007's THE BEST DAMN THING, which is cool, since i prefer synth(s) over guitar(s), but the "airhead" factor is still problematic.  I did enjoy THE BONES OF WHAT YOU BELIEVE by alt-synthpop band CHVRCHES, albeit briefly...COM TRUISE made/makes similar music, without the discernable structure that makes such sweetly-toned music stick out in the listener's consciousness.  A lot of music that came out in 2009 and shortly after is still being found by me.  I just found out that metalcore band We Came As Romans are not all demonic-vocals and repetitive guitar-chunks.  Their 2011 album (follow-up to 2009's TO PLANT A SEED) UNDERSTANDING WHAT WE'VE GROWN TO BE is filled with actual singing, and little splashes of synth.  I guess you could count that as "current decade" music, but you know if I put that on a list of modern-day "best", 99/100 people will be like "wtf?".  And 999/1000 will just nod their head to say "I don't know how you came to that conclusion, but I hear you and there's no point in arguing", while the other 1/1000 people will either pump their fists in virtual victory or tell me I'm nuts for having closed my mind off to the possibilities of music.  And for what it's worth, I did not fully enjoy UNDERSTANDING WHAT WE'VE GROWN TO BE; the last 4 or 5 songs had my mind wandering to the point where i would check in every 5-10 minutes, and I still don't remember anything about over half the album.  The only songs I remember are the opening track, #2 and "Cast The First Stone".  Beyond that, the album was little more than white noise.  I do remember track #3 being sorta similar to the one that came before it.
I came across We Came As Romans 'cause I somehow found out of A Skylit Drive before they had released a full string of albums, and was hoping to find a band, or at least a good long string of songs, that captured the feeling of hearing A Skylit Drive back when they were a fairly new band with 2008's WIRES...AND THE CONCEPT OF BREATHING, which i find to be a very tedious listen most of the time lately.  I don't know what to make of A Day To Remember.  I liked HOMESICK and WHAT SEPARATES ME FROM YOU, I haven't had enough time with their current release (and Grooveshark has the songs uploaded all wonky) to make a decision regarding it.  But their first two albums from almost a decade ago sound like almost a different band.  What the heck?!

Here's my best attempt for the time being:
EMAROSA - EMAROSA
WE CAME AS ROMANS - UNDERSTANDING WHAT WE'VE GROWN TO BE
A SKYLIT DRIVE - IDENTITY ON FIRE
A DAY TO REMEMBER - WHAT SEPARATES ME FROM YOU
CHVRCHES - THE BONES OF WHAT YOU BELIEVE

Please be advised that not a single album on this "current decade" list means anything to me personally, which I cannot say of the 1990's or the decade that came after it.

BEST OF THE 1990'S (IMO)
R.E.M. - AUTOMATIC FOR THE PEOPLE
LIVE - THROWING COPPER
MARILYN MANSON - ANTICHRIST SUPERSTAR
PHIL COLLINS - BOTH SIDES
THE CRANBERRIES - NO NEED TO ARGUE

BEST OF THE BEST

  1. American Football - American Football
  2. Phil Collins - Both Sides
  3. The Cranberries - No Need To Argue
  4. Dashboard Confessional - The Places You Have Come To Fear The Most
  5. The Fray - How To Save A Life
  6. Patty Griffin - 1,000 Kisses
  7. Hidden In Plain View - Resolution
  8. Avril Lavigne - Let Go
  9. Oingo Boingo - Nothing To Fear
  10. Taking Back Sunday - Tell All Your Friends
  11. Trespassers William - Having


No comments: