Wednesday, January 21, 2015

I can't sit 55

Books I almost read...but didn't finish 'cuz I can't sit still (!!!)

Flynn, Gillian - DARK PLACES
Lindqvist, John Ajvide - LET ME IN
Perlman, Elliot - SEVEN TYPES OF AMBIGUITY

Books I almost enjoyed, but stopped reading b/c of qualms I had with the authors disregard of fundamental rules of communication/writing ---

Evans, Justin - A GOOD AND HAPPY CHILD

If I wasn't so damn opinionated, I might have finished reading:

Ballard, J.G. - CRASH
King, Stephen - THE STAND
Picoult, Jodi - MY SISTER'S KEEPER
Sparks, Nicholas - A WALK TO REMEMBER

I'm still hoping to someday finish SEVEN TYPES....I keep meaning to get around to reading CRASH.  Still haven't.  I own it.  But I never touch it.

BOOKS I'VE READ AND CAN VOUCH FOR:

Berendt, John - MIDNIGHT IN THE GARDEN OF GOOD AND EVIL
Crichton, Michael - JURASSIC PARK
Lee, Harper - TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD
+ many by Stephen King back when I was a newcomer to reading.  I don't count those b/c A) SK is easy reading and everybody who isn't in a coma knows who he is.  B) I was a newcomer and a lot younger, so much of the text and subtexts were lost on me.  I used to think INSOMNIA's presentation of the abortion debate was well balanced and compassionate.  Now I see it a bit differently.  I read THE DEAD ZONE but was disappointed.  I picked it up a few or so years ago and was almost swept up by the depiction of romantic relationship between the main character & his girlfriend.  I actually saw the movie shortly after this, again, and was disgusted by the C-list acting quality.  One of David Cronenberg's shakier film presentations.  Just goes to show how much you grow from 14 to 22.  At least in my case anyway...
I also **almost** finished Anne Rice's THE WITCHING HOUR.  I got impatient and started reading something else.
Whitley Strieber's THE WOLFEN is also an interesting book.  At least I thought so while reading it in 11th grade.  I'm not certain I would enjoy it now.  I also enjoyed one of his other books UNHOLEY FIRE.  I almost finished THE NIGHT CHURCH, but tried switching over to a hardcover edition I bought off eBay from a paperback I stumbled across at a book store that's no longer in operation and made the huge mistake of not keeping a bookmark in the paperback, so I couldn't figure out where I left off and didn't feel like re-reading anything of it.  Truthfully, it's not THAT great of a book.  Very much a basic horror novel.  Could have been better had it been written by someone else...who, I cannot say...I DON'T READ THAT MUCH(!!!)

No comments: