Tuesday, January 10, 2017

What's King's problem?

    Stephen King's two best books are being shortchanged.
IT (1986)
and
PET SEMATARY (1983)

A mass market paperback re-issue of Pet Sematary is finally being released January 29 (3 weeks to go!) and I haven't seen any evidence of a softcover on the horizon, which would be much preferred.  It's a relatively short book, so it doesn't really *need* a strong hard binding like IT does.  However IT was released in softcover back in the summer of '16 and while it's apprx 300 pages shorter than the mass market printing, it's still 3x bigger than the number of pages in the old paperbacks from the days when you didn't need membership into the old people's club to appreciate Stephen King.  I swear, you know how many trees you folks are wasting?

 


IT was once, not too terribly long ago (maybe 3 years ago?) available through book clubs and nowhere else, but now it's just nowhere.  It costs at least $50 to buy one that's in nice shape.  Yesterday I found one on e-Bay that was actually in quite nice shape.  It costs $75.  Yeah f****ing right.
I've read on the Amazon forums that Stephen King has a low opinion of PET SEMATARY.  I can sorta see why based on this one reviewer on Amazon, citing Stephen King's optimistic streak that is completely absent from PET SEMATARY.  However, what does he have against IT?  Maybe nothing.  I guess it's probably more a matter of cost than anything.  If Doubleday or whoever re-printed it, it would probably still cost $40 minimum.  I really liked the original cover-art.  It was so finger looking good they re-used it for the paperback.  That's a far cry from PET SEMETARY, which has never had a good paperback, hardback or softcover pressing aside from one that was printed as part of a set of S.K. hardcover editions back in the early 1990s.  It was included on Amazon's website, but hardly anyone selling it was offering the edition pictured in the listing. 

Meanwhile, I'm still awaiting CHVRCHES third album, which sounds to be more interesting than their 2nd album.  It's being recorded now, and will probably see release in spring '17 but I might get lucky and see it's release late(r) this year...  I've grown kinda tired of their debut, but I can tell you it's still good as it was.  I just need a break from it. 

No comments: