Thursday, February 23, 2017

Oingo Boingo "Flesh 'N Blood" (GHOSTBUSTERS II version)

I've been obsessive about Oingo Boingo since I walked into a music store in the mall one day at the age of 5 and saw the cover-art for SKELETONS IN THE CLOSET: THE BEST OF OINGO BOINGO. My mom picked it up while out doing errands, for my father, and I had never forgotten it, despite the CD being out of the house along w/ my father for almost 5 years before I rang up my father long distance and asked him if I could have it...He said yes and mailed it to me.  I didn't have a CD player at the time (this was 1995), and a friend of my mom's offered to transfer it to cassette (which I accepted).  I shortsightedly parted ways with it and re-bought it a few times over the years during a 10 year long streak of bad handling of money...(I'm still not great at it, but after almost 15 years I'd hope one would not expect less...)
Anyway.  The GB2 OST is not nearly as good as the GB OST (Yes, I know it's a cliche).  That's not to say I adore the GB OST...there are some good songs on it, but half the album at least is filler.  Even the track "Magic" by Mick Smiley is two songs featuring the word "Magic" and only one of them was heard in the movie, which may mean something if you want to remember the movie rather than just watching it again, but the song itself really is nothing special.  However, I do friggin' love the original Arista Records CD cover-art with the CD-logo on the bottom corner and the layout of the back cover-art...the shade of red on the front cover, heck even the shade of black is frikkin' perfect! The music on this CD is not all heard in the movie.  There's not a whole lot of songs in the movie and the soundtrack includes everything except the theme song for the 1984 original.  This CD would have been marketed as "Music From And Inspired by GHOSTBUSTERS II" had it been released in the mid-late '90's...instead it just says "GHOSTBUSTERS II SOUNDTRACK ALBUM" on the disc itself and the insert for the jewel case spine. 
Believe it or not, this is one of the songs that was IN the movie, although it was a different version, I think...what you hear in the movie is all instrumental and it's missing the chorus and some bits of the verses...I don't know if it was a remix or just a different recording altogether...
And, for me anyway, the cool thing, having been a fan of the movie this song is part of the soundtrack of/for since roughly the same time SKELETONS IN THE CLOSET: THE BEST OF OINGO BOINGO was released, being a young child who was already a fan of GHOSTBUSTERS, is the knowledge that these two megathings of "me" are forever officially linked.

No comments: