Tuesday, January 23, 2018

IT (2017)

Couldnt believe IT (2017) was available at Redbox this past Saturday.  My mom rented it.  She watched it.  She had good things to say about it, and expressed sadness about the likelihood of me not watching it.
I signed up for a 30 day free trial of Netflix's DVD service.  So I have IT (2017) arriving once again(!).  And I have 30 days to watch it (!!).  Hopefully I'll get it watched well before then.  I should be able to finish it in a couple weeks if it's any good.  I'm on the $7.99 unlimited plan, but I'm thinking I'll save a few bucks and switch to the $4.99 plan.  I really don't watch more than a couple movies a month anyhow.
I have 11 other movie on my Q at the moment.  Most of them are not big cheeses that I gots to seeses to pleases.  Just stuff that looks like it *might* be good.
I also have a 14 day free trial to this thing called FILMSTRUCK, which is available on the Roku.  I have like 20 movies on my list, and many of them do appear to be pretty good movies. 
I also rented this movie on Amazon today called MAD COWGIRL.  It seems heavily inspired by the work of Gregg Araki, especially his 1997 movie (one of my personal favs) nOWHERE.  It even shares two of the cast members, which seems odd to me since I don't recall seeing either of them in any movie outside of some of Gregg Araki's other movies.  The main lead I only recall having seen in nOWHERE.  James Duvall was in a handful of Gregg Araki movies other than nOWHERE.

I wonder of Ivan Reitman's keeping the progress of the upcoming(?) GHOSTBUSTERS film under wraps so a shistorm of shis from flaming fanboys doesn't tarnish people's willingness to see it.  Some franchises have a more universal appeal that you don't have to spin for people to see it.  Superhero movies don't need to be any certain way.  They just need to be superhero movies.  GHOSTBUSTERS is a hard thing to balance in this day and age where everybody seems to think stupid = fun and depressing = intellectual.  Something can be both fun and intellectual and not be off putting to the overall populace.  GHOSTBUSTERS: ANSWER THE CALL did not demonstrate that very well, unlike the film that Sony hired Paul Feig to reboot.  There were some funny moments in GB:ATC, but very few, maybe 5 at the very most (not a good ratio for 90 minute movie, all the more for a 2 hour movie).  I'm no Hollywood insider, I'm not even a nose-pressed-against-the-glass Hollywood outsider.  I do my thing(s), and Hollywood does its thing(s).  I don't know any of the up and coming promising talents that are among the New Releases of the multiplex or the video shelves (virtual or otherwise.....).  I didn't know who Dennis Vellenue was until I saw ARRIVAL and noticed he was the same guy who did SICARIO.  I looked his name up on IMDB and noticed he'd also done PRISONERS, which I got a little bored with halfway through, but my mom saw it and I sat in on the latter half of the movie, so managed to catch most of the movie all in all.  It wasn't a fantastic movie, wouldn't really call it Great, but it did have a promising premise and a good execution, IMO, although it was a little uneven I guess.  His movie ENEMY I was absolutely displeased with.  I saw the first several minutes of it and it looked like he was trying to do some kind of ERASERHEAD type thing.  I wasn't a huge fan of ERASERHEAD.  That movie was not appealing in any way, and I did not find myself either mortified or comforted by it.  I was simply bored with it.  There were some wacky moments in the movie, but the whole thing was just so freakin' slow and depressing.  And I don't mean depressing in the poetic sense, like melancholy, I mean it's depressing like a home video of a sad family eating dinner.  You can touch it up and add weird music to it, but the value is still minimal at best.  ERASERHEAD was like a well of inspiration for several indie filmmakers during the early-middle part of this decade.  It seems to have passed through.  ONLY GOD FORGIVES and some other movie, having a hard time remembering the name of it at the moment, it had Andrew Garfield in it, supposedly based on some obscure short story by the guy known for WAR AND PEACE and CRIME AND PUNISHMENT whose name I don't remember how to spell off hand.  (He's dead, I don't think he's insulted).  There were probably others that were less on my radar...idk.
Anyway.  I did enjoy similar films by David Lynch that were less slow moving and had more substance -- BLUE VELVET and LOST HIGHWAY.   MOLLHOLLAND DRIVE(2001)'s Oscar buzz and critical reception baffles me.  It had very little going for it that wasn't already explored in LOST HIGHWAY (1997), which received mixed reviews from critics and audiences.  And LOST HIGHWAY was a much better movie.  The only thing different about M.D. was the Hollywood backdrop.  In short, if you're going to copy off another movie's cinematic style, at least do it for the right reasons.  The style that nOWHERE was shot in was a pleasure to experience.  Sure, I wouldn't give it 5 stars.  4 stars, maybe, but that doesn't mean the movie should be swept under the rug simply because it's a "lesser" movie....and I'm not even sure it's really a "lesser" movie...It's not like the maker of MAD COWGIRL was just making a random omage of Gregg Araki's nOWHERE.  The story is rather unique, although not wholly original or groundbreaking / earthshattering or whatever.  It's just an interesting spin on the zombie genre, from what I remember.  I haven't started (re)watching it yet...
So anyway.....all this, and then some..........I was going to say something about not being a Hollywood knowitall, using my late blooming knowledge of the guy who directed ARRIVAL as a case in point not to ask me who I'd hire to direct the upcoming GHOSTBUSTERS movie.  I would have no idea.  It's **supposed** to be Hollywood's job to figure that out.  I don't know how to take their crowns for myself.............just doing that job sounds like more work than I can stomach.  I'm getting exhuasted just sitting here imagining doing that for a living.  Ugh.

No comments: