Tuesday, January 16, 2018

whooshhh!

Listening to The Cure - DISINTEGRATION (1989, 2010 remastered edition) on Spotify.  "Plainsong" (Track 1) is such a great opener.  It's a good CD if you find yourself really in tune to the dirge of that song.  If not, it gets slightly more intriguing toward the end of the CD around track 8 or so....with a few songs in between that I'm mostly sick of, but can enjoy at times...I used to hate that song "Fascination Street", but it's grown on me.
I thought of it b/c I had added a few items to my cart @ Blowitoutahere.com, and figured I was nowhere near able to afford them, so I logged in to save the selections for checkout at a later (much later?) date, and noticed that CD still in my cart -- probably from about a couple weeks ago during one of my "what kind of dining room set defines me as a person" window shopping sprees, when I was price comparing, I had that in my Amazon.com shopping cart and didn't delete it from my Blowitoutahere.com shopping cart..

Prior to that piquing my interest, I was remembering this re-issue that I'd seen at the now defunct Hastings Entertainment of Fall Out Boy's 2013 CD SAVE ROCK N ROLL.  It hadn't even been out for a year before they released that thing, weird...that was one of their better CDs.  I liked FROM THE UNDER THE CORK TREE, but I'm thoroughly sick of it,  I can enjoy it on Spotify once in a very great blue moon, or hear songs from it on Pandora or regular radio if/when, but to buy it again would be totally stupid.  Buying SAVE ROCK N' ROLL would probably be the same.  I had it on MP3 for $1.99 @ Amazon (!!), but deleted it for some real stupid stupid reason (!!!!!!!!!!!....ok, I don't need that many !'s, but......ugh)
Anyway.
Then when my mind got distracted from the bouncy pop rock crunch toward the indie shimmer of that acrosstith the pond, I remembered a mini-goal I had yesterday to pick up SINGLES by The Smiths (1995).  As the title suggests, it collects the bulk of The Smiths' high charting singles.  I have R.E.M.'s I.R.S. era hits CD -- it is not self titled, but rather it is titled EPONYMOUS, which normally is a description of a self titled album, but literally the album is not self titled because the title is EPONYMOUS.  Damn, that's even worse than "What's the name of the breakthrough Nirvana CD?"  "NEVERMIND"  "Ok, sorry I asked."  "No, it's called NEVERMIND.  "Dude, if you're not gonna finish your sentence, just drop the subject ok?"  "No, you're not hearing me"....

Anyway.......
R.E.M.'s music was much better represented in album form.  I really like MURMUR, RECKONING, FABLES OF THE RECONSTRUCTION, and AUTOMATIC FOR THE PEOPLE, but I don't really listen to them that often b/c their music just has this murky quality to it that doesn't gel with my sense of optimism, which shines less bright some times, and more bright at others.
EPONYMOUS is a rather bland CD.  It really became apparent when I heard "Driver 8" come on.  I don't remember off hand what the 2 or 3 songs preceeding it were.  "Don't Go Back To Rockville", "So. Central Rain" and "Talk About The Passion" are also on that CD, but "Driver 8" beats 'em all hands down, IMO.  The CD could have easily been 10x better if they'd removed some of the songs and replaced them with "Stand", Losing My Religion" and "Shiny Happy People", but half the reason the CD was released was because R.E.M. had just switched from I.R.S records to Warner Bros. records, who would go on to release those gems.


No comments: