Thursday, November 1, 2018

ig gigs agagn

Been using my YouVersion Bible app lately, more so than the One Year Bible.  I'm almost finished with it, after almost 2 years.  Meh.  The app is neat.  I like the print sizing.  It helps a little to have a name for the sections.  It gets me thinking how deeply in tune to The Spirit the people who do that sort of thing need to be in order to do their jobs.  People who read The Bible are allotted the freedom to misuse it, but The Bible is never defeated.  God's Word has stood intact and unchanged for almost 2000 years. 
One can debate the merits of the prophecies and how they prove anything or if they do.  People out of the faith say that The Bible predicts the rise and fall of Alexander The Great with such pinpoint precision that the prophecy must have been written after the fact (which makes no sense, but whatever).  But beyond the prophecies of The Bible, there is absolutely no possible way to refute any of it unless you pick it apart and remove it from its context.  If you are looking to refute The Bible, there will always be someone who is able to come up with a valid counter-refute that neutralizes that argument.  The fact is it comes down to how much you want to stay down and how down you are before you realize how far down you are.  People can sink so low that they can't do anything about it even after they realize what's happened if they ever do at all.  Sure, God can save you, but it's like people who have 150 pounds of weight to shed vs. people who have 50 vs people who have just 10 or 20.  The weight comes off easily if you're committed.  God gives people who choose to lose weight a free pass by allowing them to shed the first half of their excess weight with minimal effort.  But then you get down to your last 10-30 pounds.  Then it becomes a struggle.  That struggle, IMO, is our Earthly payment.  It's us paying our small down payment to get to Heaven, so to speak.  And it's a reminder of our dependence on Him who is responsible for all good things that come to us since we are prone to forget to give thanks and respect to The One True King. 

anyway.  Haven't read any of it the past few or so days.  I read the book of Daniel last week, the whole thing (it's actually a pretty short book) I think...I did start reading it in the One Year Bible and then tried to pick up my place from where I left off via the YouVersion app...not sure if I started at the beginning...come to think of it, I don't think I did...I think I started on chapter 3.  There's like...8?...chapters...idk.
Anyway.  I also read some of the New Testament and then got lazy and just focused on one segment.  That's the beauty of the One Year Bible.  It takes the guesswork of how to divide time between The Old Testament & The New Testament.  There is a lot of parallel between The Old Testament & The New.  But there's also stuff that isn't covered in The Old Testament because mankind was in such a sorry state without The Holy Spirit that being given the advice that is given in The New Testament would have been utterly pointless.

It's hard to believe I hadn't written anything at all in October.

I just finally tried Starbucks' Caramel Apple Spice.  It literally tastes like apple pie in a cup.  The grande here in my outer suburb of Atlanta is $4.19.  A little pricey I suppose.  I definitely don't intend to buy more than 2 more this month.  I might not even have more than 2.  Getting out of the house is a bit cumbersome b/c my sister's 4 month old is still nursing and has to be fed every few hours.  It was a challenge just to get groceries today.  If there hadn't been a Starbucks right beside ALDI, I probably would not have gone today.

No comments: