Thursday, October 1, 2020

A pleasant surprise despite the 39th parallel view to my madness bwahahahaha......

I received a rarity -- out of print -- movie today -- on DVD -- which I had only to pay a little under $9 to get.  It's not even out on Blu ray, nor was it ever, except maybe somewhere overseas.  It's titled L.I.E. (released in 2001 by New Yorker Video).  The only reason I got it so cheap is because you generally have to lower your expectations when buying from decluttr as you don't necessarily know what condition the item is going to be in.  A lot of their stuff is in really nice condition but some of it isn't, and it's all graded as "USED - VERY GOOD".  If I had bought from a more reliable seller the price would have been AT LEAST $3 more.  And the price overall was actually lower at that time than it sometimes is.  A lot of things are that way.  For instance, throughout the last 20 years or so, Starship's debut album KNEE DEEP IN THE HOOPLA has been a bargain bin find.  You don't normally have to pay more than $5 for it unless you simply choose to do so.  I'd seen sellers offering it for less than that -- with s/h included!  But as of the moment here, the LOWEST I can find it for without missing cover art or blatantly damaged cover art is $6.00.  Locally, if I could get a ride to any kind of "local"ity, I'd pay less, but online the price has skyrocketed.  I almost paid $12 for one yesterday or the day before.  Yikes!  Then I decided against it and seriously contemplated paying almost $10 for it.  I don't even really like the album.  Not only is the opening track and lead single a contradiction of itself, some of the songs are just weak (tracks 4 and 9) and the production is very comforting and nostalgic, but it does leave a bit to be desired, like on the hedonistic track 3, (imploring someone to be unwise for the sake of pleasure, encapsulated in the title, "Tomorrow Doesn't Matter Tonight") there's a sequence of synth noize that seems to be thrown in there without any sense of direction, like it was supposed to be kind of ushered in and held up but just kind of zoomed past without any notice, almost like someone emphatically telling an elaborate joke in a room full of distracted people.  It only lasts a few seconds, but whereas in the past I could listen to that and go "OH ya, that's the stuff!", today I just listened to it and was like "Geez!  Wake up, everybody!" (as if telling someone to wake up 35 years ago makes any sense.....but anyway..)

Anyone who read my blogpost yesterday night and actually understood it will notice that the acquisition of this item, which I'd been expecting for at least 3 days now, satisfies the goal I was considering spending $20/ish on fulfilling and also makes that method of fulfilling that goal counter productive, which might need some explaining for those with limited third eye vision.

First:
Here is a comparison.  Again, they both look way better with LG's lighting filter thingy adding some weird pizazz to even the most mundane photographs.


Old collection.


Today's:





Cool beans!!
To clarify for those who think I'm a complete idiot or have some confusion in their own hearts:
This petty desire was NOT wrong to have.  I confessed and asked God for help because I was getting just about ready to manipulate my budget to buy a semi-expensive item ($20 is a lot of money to me) and when I realized I simply couldn't do that, I started whining and complaining like it was a big deal, sounding and being to some extent ungrateful and caring not that I HAVE all the cool stuff that I do indeed have.

But the counter productiveness to buying MR. HOLLAND'S OPUS on Blu ray would be this:
The situation as it stands is I have a string of Blu rays, ending with The Last Unicorn then two DVDS, one titled L.I.E.  and the other being MR. HOLLAND'S OPUS.  Unless I decided to get rid of L.I.E., the peeve I have of having one Blu ray movie just sitting there looking out of place would be replaced by the following scenario, now that I have successfully acquired a movie that I feel some strange tie to:
   row of BDs, then L.I.E., then BDs of MR. HOLLAND'S OPUS and MY GIRL. 
See?  The problem would be all over again!!  Instead of MHO standing out of place it'd be L.I.E.
So................ya.  I like to thank God for that one, even if He didn't do it...which is perhaps a flawed view, since God is aware of everything in one's life, even the smallest details.  My mom has this belittling attitude about entertainment, like sports and movies and everything are all too trivial for God to have even the faintest of interest in, and I just don't think that's right, even though I think subconsciously that attitude has developed inside of me.  It comes out.......anyway.
So boo the wasteful spending I was contemplating and the whining and complaining that I dished out instead and yay to the problem being fixed, albeit sooner than I even realized.......



No comments: