Tuesday, June 20, 2023

The perfect wisdom;

 I was recalling a conversation I had with my oldest nephew, now 7, I think he was 5 or so when we were having this conversation I recalled...
  where I was telling him this whole world will be destroyed.  He asked me "Why?"  I told him that God is going to make everything better.  And I got to imagining other stuff that I would have said if the moment hadn't gone passed me, one thing was "He's going to fix everything that's not working"  And I figured he'd ask something to the effect of "Such as?"  And I had to think for a minute.  And the bottom line is people and their sinful inclinations and actions.  And I imagined him asking "Why?"  And I got to thinking -- there's really no explanation in The Bible as to why every living and dead human being is a sinner.  It really doesn't even specifically say that.  The man Job was described as being at least *almost* without sin, and the only occassion it describes him as having sinned -- or at least almost having sinned -- is when he starts doubting the fairness with which God has treated him, which I don't think God took any issue with particularly.  When God steps up and speaks in that writing, it doesn't sound as if he's really all that happy with Job, but He doesn't say what exactly Job did wrong or weather Job did in fact do anything wrong.  Seriously, there is nothing in that writing that says Job was guilty of sin.  Now, that's not to undermine the grace that I've been given, which is over and beyond what I have any conceivable right to expect; if anything, Job's lack of sin, or sinlessness, simply underscores the grace and mercy that God has bestowed upon me and millions of others throughout history, especially this point in history where evil of all kinds has infiltrated even the church!  And Enoch was taken up by God, never having to undergo death.  And if you were to assume that drunkenness has always been a sin, in any and all circumstances, then you could assume Noah was in fact a sinner, although, again, it doesn't say that.  I mean, I'm sure Noah, and Jesus' earthly parents were not doing everything the way God would have them do it.  I would imagine that they were all guilty of a harsh word from time to time, or a snap judgement that could have stood to have been more carefully considered,
But if every human being was and is guilty of sin, the question still remains: Why?  People have likened sin(s) as a force of sorts, like an infectious disease that people inherit, but The Bible doesn't say that either.  I do get the impression from The Bible, and especially hearing people talk of what it says, that sin is like a germ that grows.  I don't specifically remember this being indicated in scripture.  But you see Cain being urged to NOT LET SIN RULE OVER!  God said sin is crouching at your door.  MASTER IT!  But through the ages that capacity of mankind has been lost as has, for a very vast majority of people, the ability to clearly understand what God is trying to communicate to people.  


Anyway....   Just a random musing.  I actually started writing this over a week ago but then got caught up thinking about "the doctrine of election", which, as far as I can tell, is simply an acknowledgement and accepting of various passages in The Bible that reference and talk about election.  I have said this before, but I'm saying it again that I accept this reality but I don't understand it and I might as well speaking Pentacostian if I'm going to explain or talk about anything that I don't at least feel like I understand.  I don't appreciate it being "exposited" like it sometimes is, because all it does is give tangled up sinners like me an excuse to wallow in my weakness and iniquity, not even bother to try.  And The Bible is not just God talking about Himself for His own entertainment.  The Bible is instruction for humans.  It is more than that, I realize, but 75% of the Old Testament is exposition of God for human beings to live in accord with.  Things like God's election are like trying to explain the air quality of Heaven.  Or trying to write out an exact timeline of one's salvation.  I can write out a better timeline of my salvation and than I can an explanation for how it's mankind's fault for going to Hell when God is the one chooses their very capacity to even be aware of it.  Things that don't seem to make sense are exactly that.  The Bible does not say that every word in His book needs to be explained.  It needs to be read from and understood but there are simply things that we aren't going to understand.  That's all on that subject... until it comes up again because of my own obsessive mind........





No comments: