Sunday, June 8, 2008

I remember, in school, we had an ACTUAL assignment that was related to the thing we were supposed to be learning (typing) and my teacher was rushing me to get that done so that I, and the rest of my classmates, could watch some unconsequental video relating to the school football team or some stupid thing like that.
As if it weren't bad enough that my financial future would be at stake if i hadn't had someone kind enough to buy me a cap and gown just so I could fucking GRADUATE (not that a cap and gown is expensive, but the $ I would have spent on that COULD have gone to something more beneficial...), I have to sacrifice the oh so important MANDATORY education so that I can be everything but forced to appreciate my "school spirit" or whatever...
If the lessons that the government wants us to learn are so damn important that we need to spend time in jail if we don't learn them, then why can't we spend the time we have cooped up in the school grounds actually learning those lessons? WHY is it that ANYTHING aside from learning should occur in classrooms? I realize most of the kids I went to school with wouldn't give a rat's ass about what I'm talking about, and most of those that wouldn't give a rat's ass probably don't even know what I'm referring to, but that's another problem with the school system as well as society; nobody cares about their freedom, so the government feels free enough to take it away! It's not quite so easy for adults, but children don't have anybody to speak for their rights since most parents either don't care about the same things that their kids care about, or don't care about their kids at all, or simply are gullable enough to believe that the government knows whats best and no child can ever be smart enough to know when their own rights are being violated.
School IS a prison. I don't care what anybody says, there's MILLIONS, upon MILLIONS more children who are forced to study things that they will ultimately forget 2 years after they graduate if not sooner; the things they DO remember will most likely have no bearing on any aspect of their life. And, of course, the only reason for that is COLLEGE is the same way and any high school graduate with any ambition at all will most likely go to college. But the only reason college is like that is so they can make more money. This whole crap about being "well rounded" is a crock; that doesn't even mean anything!
It just doesn't make any sense that people are forced to go to school, which costs all taxpayers LOTS of $, even if they don't pay hardly any taxes (in comparison...), yet does anybody ever stop to think about what good this is doing? I'm guessing at least half the people that waste their lives and tax payers' money away at school will not achieve anything substantial with their education - they won't get a high paying job and they certainly won't invent the next biggest thing since the light bulb...; and to say half the kids are in that lot is a bit of an understatement, I think, although I obviously could be wrong...
But if education really is a good thing, I don't see why I should have stopped my lesson so that I could watch a stupid football video.

No comments: