Sunday, August 31, 2008

life in mono

Well, I've decided to just deal with having nothing but a TV & a DVD player until I can get a TV that has better sound quality. I bought a $30 boombox on Friday, and returned it last night (feel so much better with an extra $36 in my pocket!) 'cause the sound reminded me of a part of the GHOSTBUSTERS "Collector's Series" DVD menu, where it asks you what trailer(s) you'd like to watch, and there's an image of a movie-theater with 3 movie posters on it, and you can click on whatever movie poster to see the trailer for the film that movie poster is advertising...but, as I was saying, in conjunction with this imagery is a sound of the GHOSTBUSTERS theme song by Ray Parker, Jr. playing, and it sounds like its coming from a distance, like from someone's (really old) car stereo or something...ya know, retro? Old? Outdated technology? The actual movie doesn't sound anywhere near that bad, and that's what I like about the DVD itself; it's a very sleek and elegant and well put together presentation of a great film. And while thinking about this, I realized my DVD player has much better sound than the boombox that cut $36 out of my $90 "play money" portion of my budget for this month, and so I returned it. If I wanted to cough up $100 or almost or more, then I could get HALFWAY-DECENT sound reproduction, but halfway decent is as far as it would go. Like I said, I might get a better TV in a year or two from now, and maybe get a home theater system added to it (maybe that BRAVIA thing from SONY would be cool, since you can play SACDs on it...although as to where I'd get the money to pay for it, who the heck knows?). This is all way down the road, it may never even happen; but that's fine, 'cause, really, it's not about the sound quality, it's about the music itself.

No comments: