Saturday, January 3, 2009

annoyance is expensive

I hate computers. I only use them b/c nothing else does the things they do; I can connect with music at a virtually unlimited degree; listen to every CD and/or song, buy anything I want, usually for less than what my local store(s) have it for, supposing my local store(s) have it anyway, and listen to radio stations that don't play the payola game, talk to anybody that wants to be spoken to by me, speak my mind without being spoken to and/or feeling awkward for having spoken, write what I feel w/o wasting paper

but to do any of these tasks requires a GREAT deal of patience - too much, I say. By the time I'm old (enough?) I may very well have wasted over a year of my life waiting for my computer to turn on, load up, do what I told it to do and let me get to the point of entry so that I can get what I wanted to do done!

Blu-Ray players are computers - fact. I've heard this from someone who owns one, on amazon. They don't DO all the stuff that computers do, but they operate the same way, with tons of mechanisms and parts/pieces that loop and correlate w/ each other in multiple ways at a time, etc. etc.;...

I've never done this but if you think I'm full of it, then open up your computer and look inside of it and then open up your DVD player and look inside of it. DVD players are a heck of a lot more simple, even though they have "inferior" picture quality...

Personally, I think the best movies were made from 1968-1984, or somewhere around there...people back in those days actually knew how to make movies; movies that were made by amateurs got what little respect they deserved and that's as far as it went. These days major Hollywood studios pay top dollar for anyone who can read AND write + create scenarios with appealing dialogue etc.; nobody has to be skilled, they just have to know the basics.
GHOSTBUSTERS was a laugh riot when it was released, although I don't get the style of humor used in that film. Nonetheless, the visuals all around, the structure of the set designs, the attention to detail used to get the atmosphere(s) and mood(s) spot on are enough to keep me watching that film at least a few times a year. I could count numerous films and examples of them and how they transcend the "idea" of the film and can be looked at the way one looks at a painting, true "motion pictures" as they say...
And I could do the opposite for films made today. THE GRUDE (w/ Sarah Michelle Gellar) was a completely stupid film; the camera angles, the make up job on the ghost(s) or whatever that/those thing(s) were, the sense of atmosphere (or lack thereof), the acting, the believability of what was going on, IT WAS ALL WRONG! And I only saw the first 5 or so minutes of that film. GOTHIKA (sp?/w/ Halle Berry and R.D. Jr.) also had mediocre at best acting, fake and dull looking set designs, as well as SWEENEY TODD (although Tim Burton actually knows how to make movies, he just doesn't seem to be interested in trying much anymore...BIG FISH was pretty good, about the only good++ movie he's done in the last 5++ years).

And so considering how poor film quality was back in the era(s) when movies weren't just a place for people to inject popcorn into their bloodstream, and they actually had an emotional impact on whoever happened to be watching them, regardless of weather or not they "made sense", why should I care about blu-ray's "superior" picture quality? As if it's important anyway...even to this day, Blu-ray (from what I've heard) has better picture quality than any movie EVER shown in theaters (except maybe an IMAX movie...), and even a 52" TV totally fails to capture the MONSTROUSLY BIG screen(s) at most movie theatres. Not that I need my movies to be projected onto a screen that size, but there are, from what I've heard, films that truly do make a difference when viewed on the God-size screen of a movie theater; David Lynch's ERASERHEAD is one of them.

So anyway...

I really do hope blu-ray does not REPLACE dvd. I don't care if people wanna turn their home entertainment into a home chore, but for goodness sake, I really do hope I can at least replace my DVD player with something other than a Blu-Ray or Blu-Ray-ish player...I really do like my new HDTV - b/c I can listen to music through its speakers without being tempted to do something else which may (or may not, ya never know) interfere with the playback.

Not to mention computers are HUGE consumers of energy, costing lots of money and natural resource(s). I like my HDTV for that reason as well; there's no "energy hog" in the equation AND, unless I do something the instruction manual tells me specifically NOT to do, the TV, like I said, doesn't freeze up on a song or movie, nothing is interrupted.

Which is, Iwould think, the ideal home viewing/listening experience, especially for people with jobs that come home tired as heck; imagine something beatuful - like a paitning or a woman - chopped up into ten pieces.

No comments: