Saturday, January 3, 2009

if I only we could all be so healthy...

I'm getting annoyed hearing about how AWFUL "regular" cat food is just b/c it has artificial preservatives and "gluten" (wth?)...EVERYBODY'S food has those things! If I didn't have ANY artificial preservatives in my food, it'd cost me $400 apprx a month to eat! As things are, I don't spend anymore than $200, and $200 is only if you count all the junk food I buy from convenience stores and fast food etc., which isn't too terribly cheap, but it's not like I eat fast food everyday - convenience store food isn't AS expensive, and I do probably spend about $1 or $2 a day on avg on "cappachinos" and Snickers and/or whatever...I usually spend less than $100 on groceries, although I have been known to spend about $20 more than what I get in food stamps (I just got my last installment of $107; my SSI just increased by $40 or so so I'm getting a $16 cut on food stamps, making it $91, which I'm pretty sure I can handle quite well, since lately I haven't been buying a lot of "fancy" food and using whatever extra I don't really NEED in f/s on my family, who have been struggling to make ends meet lately...)


So, if you read the in parethensis of what I wrote above this, I USUALLY spend about $175, not $200. and, yeah, I guess an extra $200 (maybe less) spent on food wouldn't be out of reach, especially if I "got off my lazy ass and got a job" (as those heartless jerks tend to say...), and I realize cat food is nowhere near as expensive as people food.

But seriously; why should cats get better quality food than (most) people? Just about everyone I've met eats trans/sat-fatty food from various fast food restaurants, don't give a darn about "artificial" preservatives, and some of them aren't too terribly unhealthy...

If there was PROOF that my beloved Napper (short for Napoleon for the uninitiated) would live longer by me cutting myself short by $10+, I'd probably get Natural Balance or something of the sort, but I know these "all natural", superior foods don't do good by Nap, 'cause my vet gave him prescribed food, which is needed b/c his body does not properly digest regular cat food, and I TRIED Natural Balance when I ran out of the vet-prescribed food, and he got sick again, couldn't urinate, had to stay in the vet for a week. The vet-prescribed food is made by the same people (I think) that make the all-abhored Science Diet cat food and he hasn't been in the vet for almost a year. He's almost 10 years old, too, and by around April or some Spring-time month, he WILL be 10 yrs old.

and BTW, the vet-food is actually more expensive than the Natural Balance cat food I gave Nap; over $10 more for ABOUT the same size bag.

No comments: