Monday, February 2, 2009

"IT'S WHAT YOU DO TO ME!"

I just got done (less than 20 mins ago) listening to two songs and skipping 3+ others by a European "indie" rock band who go by the name of Idlewild. The two songs I DIDN'T skip are spine-tingly good! The lyrics are mysterious, yet almost certainly melanchollic, and hypnotic and the singer's voice accompanies them in a way that pulls you in and puts you in a melancholl heart-riot, if you can "deal" with such a concept...
the other 3+(?) songs I skipped are nowhere near as good, although they have a couple (from WARNINGS/PROMISES, circa 2005) that come sorta-close.
The two songs that are staggeringly amazing are "You Held The World In Your Arms" and "Love Steals Us From Loneliness".

It's rare for an artist/band to make a piece of music, let alone a full album, of songs that occupy the mind and zap the heart; a lot of songs are acclaimed for having lyrics that "translate" what people are feeling, but in a lot of cases, IMO, that isn't very difficult to accomplish. Somehow I came upon a blog or something several years ago talking about some R&B artist, like Alicia Keys or someone, applauding her for having the "talent" to put a person's heart crushing split with another person into words. I can probably name a million songs, if I really wanted to, that do that exact same thing. In fact, I can do that exact same thing!
Example:
Go to hell you witch, you cast your spell and took it back
now I'm dizzy 'cause I don't know where I am or how to get home
(etc. etc.)

I found a CD a few years ago (circa early 2006) that I liked the opening track of immediately, but was a little lukewarm to the following 3 or 4 so didn't get all the way through the album til a few months or so later, and even then I wasn't really listening or maybe I just didn't have the frame of reference and/or mind to give it the kind of credit it deserves, but over the last year, maybe two, I've begun to absolutely adore that CD; HAVING by Trespassers William. The lyrics are quite a bit less mystical than those two Idlewild songs referred to above, but the melodies are so deep and harrowing in their melancholly that the lead singer's voice could do what Liz Fraiser of the Cocteau Twins does, and just sing (practically?) nothing and that would be just fine with most, although when I say "most", I don't count all those who think "if it's not on the radio, it must not be any good", b/c, as anyone who reads or watches the news ought to know, radio stations play what they get paid to play. Not only that, but innovation and originality aren't the kinds of things you usually hear when talking about a song you or someone else heard on the radio. Go figure...
Anyway...

No comments: