Friday, February 20, 2009

we know there's an answer

I updated my playlist.com playlist just now to highlight the MOST AWESOME song(s): Q & A by pop-punk band Cartel. I went outside for some reason, I think to get a coffee, and I had music in my heart; I felt like singing out "REACHING OUUUT, REECHING OUUOUT; NO ONE'S NEAR ME-AFTER ALL THIS TIME, BEEN REACHING OUT BLIIIIIIIINDLYYYYY...", but I was afraid I was alone in that sentiment and all I'd provide was (further) evidence of my insanity...
I've created a seperate playlist on Windows Media, 'cause playlist.com is without a few songs that I think are central to my current mindset.

An attractive woman appears to have moved in my building. I'm not really "into" her, and I haven't spoken a single word to her (I think...), but, supposing she isn't disgusted by me or currently involved with somebody else, the fact is: my life has been given opportunity. The sad thing is, I'm not sure I wish to bother with it. And so I'm feeling a smaller degree of the whole 2001-2002 Megan Irvin crush. Actually, I guess it feels more like when I first moved out 5 years ago and was going to the college library to use their computers & listening to RAGE 103.7. Kent (the SEMO University's) library no longer allows non-students to use their computers and RAGE 103.7 has become just another faceless radio station (basically REAL ROCK 99.3 w/o the "classic" rock). And of course I have my own computer and have pretty much mapped out the "modern rock" landscape of the last 5++ years enough to know how to find music I like...which means I've grown bored with a lot of the bands who sang "That song" I had heard on RAGE 103.7 in their pre-koksucker days, via listening to the CDs that have "that song" on them repeatedly...
My life is better lately b/c of Pandora. I managed to select the most quintessential modern-day emo bands (i.e.: Hawthorne Heights, Silverstein, Armor For Sleep, Senses Fail...) and based on those selections, Pandora delivers emo-tional bliss 95+% of the time (well, maybe not THAT often, but a heck of a lot more often than RAGE 103.7 EVER did...and this is keeping in mind that RAGE 103.7, circa 2003-2005, was the best radio station I'd heard since KISS 93.9 started trying to reach out to the teeni-bopper market with the heartless sounds of the Backstreet Boys/N'Sync; from about 1998, when they first came on air, to about...late 1998? Maybe it was 1997 when KISS 93.9 went on air...but by 1999 or 2000 they'd "branched out"...the Cape Girardeau, MO region had a fairly good soft rock station from like sometime in 2001 to sometime in...i don't know exactly when the soft rock station started getting cruddy; I think it was a gradual progression, from slightly mediocre to flat-out annoying. I'd had it pretty much for good when I couldn't seem to turn on their station without hearing Michael McDonald's Motown re-work album...and WHAT IN THE HECK was Uncle Kracker doing getting so much attn from soft rock radio? Sure, he's SOFT (or at least some of his music is), but the guy's a jerk. If you can't listen to "Follow Me" (or whatever the heck that song's called) without getting that sense, then perhaps knowing he is/was buddies with Kid Rock should do it for you...of course, Kid Rock is emensely popular, so who am I talking to? Anyway, it seems being a macho-ish-jerk is perfectly acceptable; Toby Keith makes his NAME off of that crap. But I hate it. And I'm crazy...

But anyway; this 16 track Windows Media playlist is really good. It's also got 4 songs from WARNINGS/PROMISES by Idlewild. And a couple by Staind. I Love "Trust Me" by The Fray. That album, HOW TO SAVE A LIFE, was pretty good, but I don't think people are "spoiled" for being disappointed with their follow up "just b/c" it wasn't "AS GOOD" as their debut...now, if The Fray had made a bunch of songs as good as "Q" and "A" by Cartel, and their follow up was only half as good, THAT would be spoiled. People really don't DESERVE to be lured into paying for music that isn't as good as the bait used to do the luring...

No comments: