Wednesday, October 21, 2009

morbid intrigue

Perhaps that should be considered a genre all its own? Of course not. Genres are either so broad they overlap QUITE frequently or they end up pointlessly specific. Who ever would have had the brains in the early 20th century, during the infancy of films/Hollywood, to coin genre-names based on what kind of appeal it has! A lot of things hadn't even been done, weren't ALLOWED to be done in those early days, and people didn't know jack about human motives, and people still don't, although less so than those days.

I'm reading Nobakav, oh, wait, just double checked, NABOKOV (how on earth does on pronounce that?!), 's classic novel LOLITA, after reading a small series of thoughts on the book by some author who had written a book that (gasp!) ISN'T chick-lit(!)...some whoknowswhat was interviewing this author who had written some book and asking her if it would be considered "chick lit" and she was saying how she was encouraged to take up the task of having a deeply repelling yet slightly sympathetic narrator out of having read books such as LOLITA and she was like "Is LOLITA chick-lit?" which I thought was kinda funny, but anyway. But that brought my attention to memories of what little of the original Stanley Kubrick-directed film I saw back in high school (I got bored with it and ejected the tape...) and I remembered there was some guy, like, getting ready to shoot somebody or something at the beginning of the film, which I thought and still think was intriguing b/c it has, at face value, nothing to do with the seedy elements of the book...and then I remembered being totally clueless to the fact that the title character of the 1997 remake was a prostitute, until some guy I knew pointed out that she was. I asked him if he knew anything about the book and he was like "well, I know it's about a prostitute." And I was like "no, it's about a old guy who falls for a 12 year old". And he was "yeah, the 12 year old was a prostitute". In the film at least, the "prostitute" seemed like the sort of person who was rather indifferent to weather or not she was or wasn't a prostitute, making everything out to be some kind of game or joke. All of these elements combined, when I threw them together, sounded like the kind of thing that would easily fill a 300+ page book. I mean, all these little details about the people, and sub-plots etc., and best of all (so far), in the Foreward of the book, which lasts about 7 pages or so, it is said to be a warning of where society is headed, with children going astray, mothers who don't mother, and, of course, sick men with ill will...looks like not very many people took those warnings seriously...darn sad if you ask me.
I'm 34 pages into it within less than 12 hours of having the book in my room. So far it's pretty much some sicko documenting his sick experiences and thoughts and providing some background info of where he was and what he was doing otherwise. It's intriguing, in a sick sort of way, but hopefully there'll be more of a story going on as the book goes on...
~Jonathan

No comments: