Sunday, October 11, 2009

so you say THE OFFICE isn't funny?

just to be clear I AM NOT A RACIST! When I say "cartoony black people..." that DOES NOT mean "all black people are cartoony"...just gotta put this disclaimer up so Blogger doesn't delete this post for being hateful or whatnot...this post is mainly meant to describe my attitude about life and the things within it that I care about...
I posted this on ProtonCharging.com, and I'm posting it here 'cause when I was writing it, I didn't expect to conjure up an explanation for why I chose not to see AUSTEN POWERS 3. But I think within the below text is the reason why. I mean, like it or not, I'm not black, never was, am not nor ever was so deeply immersed in "black culture" to understand or appreciate the whole "Foxy Brown"/blacksploitation movement (OK, Foxy Brown wasn't a movement, but I don't know the actual word I'm trying to say so moving right along?). I also managed to come up with a good list of comedies that I LIKE vs. ones that I DON'T like. Why don't or do I like/not-like them? Well, that's for you to decide if you dare enter the ream of - psychoanalysis - gasp!

Ok, this sorry-ass intro is longer than the PC post (I think?)...

:::::::::
The Office is quite funny, at least it was...there was this one period in time when I was for some reason watching TV *A LOT* more than I do now, but I've kinda lost track of The Office. I guess it's a generational thing? I personally don't think GB1 or 2 is all that funny. It has a light-hearted and humorous atmosphere, but there aren't any parts where I just think back and chuckle or explode with laughter. There's a lot of films that were made in the 80's, comedies, that I just don't think are funny. Beverly Hills Cop, most of Eddie Murphy's other movies (although it seems like Trading Places had some funny moments, just don't remember them it's been years since I've seen that movie, so that might be an exception), Spies Like Us, Christmas Vacation...then I think of movies that came out when I was a preteen & teenager, like Mrs. Doubtfire, Liar Liar, and Austen Powers 1 & 2 (I never saw the third one, 'cause the whole Foxy Brown parody has absolutely no relevance to me; when I think of the '70's, I think of the Vietnam protesting, gritty movies with smoke and fog, and brick buildings, not some cartoony black people who confuse their head with a light bulb...no offense, but I'll take the no-frills hair like The Beatles had on the LET IT BE album cover over the overthetop blowout known as the afro. But then again, the whole disco era was kinda dumb, IMO. Not that I like the punk movement any better...I guess when I think "the '70's" I think of the first half before the war ended and movies started becoming products rather than art and music lost its will to experiment and/or be beautiful).

No comments: