Sunday, May 22, 2011

blackout

quote from Senses Fail's "Blackout" (from LIFE IS NOT A WAITING ROOM on Vagrant Records)

"If I had a shot for every *odamn time I thought about your face and what I lost, at least I'd get some sleep"

I love that song, not sure if I'd feel the same about it hearing it at random...on the LIFE IS NOT A WAITING ROOM album, it's like they subconsciously lead you to expect a big payoff at the end (that being "Blackout").  I don't know how they do/did it, I'm not even sure if that's the correct conclusion, but looking back I don't see how I was able to listen to the entire album with songs like "Wolves At The Door" and "Hair Of The Dog", the latter having a rather nice melody with kind of barf-inducing lyrics, if it weren't for the subliminal message of more-to-come (??) in the opening song "Fireworks At Dawn" (??). 

I also like the lyric in the song: "There were times, there were times, I reached for the phone, to tell you there might still be some hope...".

I don't know why those two parts of the song appease me so much.  I didn't even realize what he was saying in the first quote until I looked up the lyrics on MetroLyrics to verify content.  I just remember the melody and the part where he keeps repeating the word "sleep".

You'd think "Blackout" would be the backbone of their 2010 release, since it leaves you wanting more, but alas, they decided to go for a more aggressive sound for the newest CD THE FIRE.

No comments: